Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2010, 06:51 PM

Default How do i go back from 8.0.3 to PTLE8?

I've been experiencing an onslaught of memory errors and white noise problems and just read that im not the only one. Instead of trying to get this all to work I would rather go back to the basic PTLE8. How do i go back to it?

If it helps, i reformatted my computer, installed pro tools then all of my VI's and plugins then i upgraded. Do i have to do a fresh re-install plugins and VI's included? Thanks for the help guys

Edit: It looks like i need to go to a previous image when 8.0.3 was not installed. I never made an image of my drive so does this mean a fresh reboot of XP and all else is in order? I really dont care what i have to do, i just want this stuff to work...
Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 PM

Default Re: How do i got back from 8.0.3 to PTLE8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike59271 View Post

Edit: It looks like i need to go to a previous image when 8.0.3 was not installed. I never made an image of my drive so does this mean a fresh reboot of XP and all else is in order? I really dont care what i have to do, i just want this stuff to work...
It's best to start fresh. Trying an "uninstall" will still leave some residual stuff behind at times. Take this opportunity to create images along the way. Right after XP is installed, immediately do an image. Install all your drivers, then do another image. Do the standard optimizations for PT, then do another image. Install PT and again, do another image. Finally, install your plug-ins and do a final image. If you need to do future trouble shooting, these standard images will have you up and running again in no time. It's also good to install new versions of Pro Tools to your restored optimized PT image as apposed to installing "over top". Acronis True Image is popular but not the only one.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-25-2010, 07:35 PM

Thank you very much for the informative reply. I was leaning towards a fresh reboot anyways. Here's another question for you, When you say "standard optimizations for Pro Tools" what do you mean? I'm running XP (SP3) Do you mean just basic Windows tweaks? Also, Ive got a bunch of VI's (Best Service, BFD, Komplete etc...) Plus plugins, should i be creating an image before and after each new VI install or just after the whole thing?

Also, I was under the assumption that the first programs to be installed after a fresh reboot of windows will run the fastest and more efficient which is why you go with your drivers then your most used programs and so on, will installing true image before anything else make any noticeable effect? Thank you very much for your time!

Edit: also, i know i come off as a total newb. But is 8.0.1 the same as the hard disk version i got when i bought it? Or is that an upgrade? Should i just install the disk that came with my Mbox 2 and stay away from any updates?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 PM

Shane can add to this but...

Quote:
Thank you very much for the informative reply. I was leaning towards a fresh reboot anyways. Here's another question for you, When you say "standard optimizations for Pro Tools" what do you mean? I'm running XP (SP3) Do you mean just basic Windows tweaks?
Yes
Quote:
Also, Ive got a bunch of VI's (Best Service, BFD, Komplete etc...) Plus plugins, should i be creating an image before and after each new VI install or just after the whole thing?
You can't be too safe or careful.

Quote:
Also, I was under the assumption that the first programs to be installed after a fresh reboot of windows will run the fastest and more efficient which is why you go with your drivers then your most used programs and so on, will installing true image before anything else make any noticeable effect? Thank you very much for your time!
I install True Image right after the chipset drivers.
Quote:
Edit: also, i know i come off as a total newb. But is 8.0.1 the same as the hard disk version i got when i bought it? Or is that an upgrade? Should i just install the disk that came with my Mbox 2 and stay away from any updates?
8.0.1 is an update for 8.0 and has worked well for most of us.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-25-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
When you say "standard optimizations for Pro Tools" what do you mean? I'm running XP (SP3) Do you mean just basic Windows tweaks?
I mean the Digidesign suggested Pro Tools optimizations. Avoid the "geek tweaks" until you know your system is running solid. The geek tweaks add to many variables if it ever comes down to trouble shooting problems and getting Digidesign to reproduce bugs in house.

Quote:
Also, Ive got a bunch of VI's (Best Service, BFD, Komplete etc...) Plus plugins, should i be creating an image before and after each new VI install or just after the whole thing?
I myself do an image before and after all plug-ins are installed. I don't do images after each plug-in.

Quote:
I install XP(no drivers) then True Image and do an image. Then I'll install drivers, do an image and take it from there. You can also do an image without installing True Image. This can be done via another partition with an OS on it and by the CD bootable version of True Image.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 PM

Default Re: How do i go back from 8.0.3 to PTLE8?

Thanks for the heads up, I'm gunna go at it tomarrow and report back with my results. I wasn't able to find the Digidesign Optimizations for XP only Vista.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Avid

Default Re: How do i go back from 8.0.3 to PTLE8?

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, I'm gunna go at it tomarrow and report back with my results. I wasn't able to find the Digidesign Optimizations for XP only Vista.
A search for 'Windows Optimizations' in the Knowledgebase turns up what you're looking for:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...+optimizations