Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2002, 11:47 AM

Default Separate drive or partition for audio?

I'm using a digi001 w/PT LE with my g4 dual 1gHz and had a couple of questions. I'm going to get another hard drive.

1. Should I put the audio on a separate drive or just a separate partition?

2.What kind of performance difference will I see between an internal IDE or an internal SCSI? Is it worth it for me to spend the extra cash on the SCSI drive?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2002, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Separate drive or partition for audio?

Yes,you should have your OS on a seperate drive for several reasons but that will be a long explanation. Sufice to say yes. Also when you get your new hard disk partition it down to about 4 gig each this will be for your audio only. The reason for the partition is to let your cpu look only through 4 gig at a time instead of say 80 gig.
This makes a big differance.

Happy tracking
Old 10-04-2002, 01:34 PM

Oh and by the way you should be able to get about 3 or 4 songs 24 tracks each @ 24 bit on each of your partitions counting the edits.

SCSI drives are loud clicking devices but transfer
data fast. I dont recomend SCSI if your not seperating it from the control room.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:48 PM

Don't buy the SCSI.
You are wasting your money if you are running LE and have a 32 track limit.
People on here are running 48 and some report 64 track sessions on modern IDE drives. I own the very expensive, super fast 15K RPM SCSI drives and I don't think I would buy them again - ESPECIALLY if I were not doing more than 32 tracks of audio.

DO keep your AUDIO files on a seperate PHYSICAL drive. Feel free to partition THAT drive all you want as the advice from R and R states, just don't try to cheat it by partitioning your one system drive into two - you are just making your hard drive, controller, and OS work twice as hard that way...