Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2010, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Vienna Ensemble Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Campbell View Post
Ok, here's the wrinkle I've been wondering about: How about using Vienna Ensemble PRO on a headless mac?

Say I want to buy one of those new 12 core macs coming out next Tuesday, and use something like Synergy or Teleport to control the new mac. Would VEP and Synergy/Teleport play nicely together on one ethernet connection?

Anyone successfully doing this? Anyone UNsuccessfully attempting this?

Ray
Not sure if I'm answering your question but I'm using Teleport to jump from screen to screen on my 2 Macs.
I can't see any problem but I'm assuming you are going to plug a monitor into the new Mac.
If you want to use just the one monitor (although a 24' HD monitor is only around $300 these days) then I think you could use Timbuktu although I found that a bit clunky.

Teleport works very well with 2 monitors and one Keyboard and mouse but it's not without it's quirks. About once a month it will stop working and require you to toggle it off and on.......which takes about 5 seconds.

Also if my cursor wanders to close to the edge of one monitor it will be "sucked" across to the other one. There is no adjustment for this sensitivity and I have learned to live with it.

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 PM

Had a very disconcerting Vienna Ensemble Pro experience today and since this is the most current VE PRO thread going, figured I'd post here.

Working on a track this morning, using VEPro to run Omnisphere, Trillian and SonikSynth2 -- very light session, just a couple patches on each instrument. Work on vocals for 2-3 hours in the afternoon, all the while with the track running via MIDI -- nothing printed yet. After finishing the vocal session, I go to set up the InputChannels in VE Pro and Audio Tracks in PT so that I can print the midi tracks in PT, but no audio is getting through to PT. Midi still triggering fine, but no audio back into PT. So, I quit everything and restart the machine. Start VE Pro, then PT, then open the session file and NOTHING loads in the VE Pro window. All the VI instances are gone, all the new Input Channels are gone. Horror!

I was able to go back to a session file backup from earlier in the day and VE Pro loaded properly, so I printed from that session, then imported session data back into the current session that we just cut vocals for. So, fortunately didn't actually lose anything but an hour or so of sorting it out, but needless to say, very scary and really bothersome re: the reliability of this otherwise really helpful software.

Anybody have this experience or have any clue if there's anything I may have done to precipitate this disaster?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM

I had the same type of thing happen earlier this week. For the life of me I have no idea what caused the problem but I'm going back to using Bidule on the slave machine. No individual inputs in PT but it's rock solid.

As a side note, I tried something interesting today. Within Pro Tools I loaded up Kore 2 and then loaded up a few VSTs and AUs. Seemed solid, but you never can be sure until a technique like that survives a few real world tests. Didn't even realize Kore 2 software could run AUs and VSTs in Pro Tools.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Never had this exact problem but I have had one session where Stylus RMX was completely empty upon loading. Fortunately all the regions in PT were named from the Stylus Patches so I could get it back. I told the VEP programers about this and they requested my file. I opened that file again today.........about 2 months after the problem and lo and behold the same thing happened. I'm guessing it's a corrupt file.
Luckily for me I had saved the whole RMX setup as a multi so I was back in business in a flash.
Still it's not good. Trouble in paradise.
Although today I had so much fun with VEP that I really don't mind.

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 AM

I have a question about VEP

been watching the videos and it says it only works with RTAS on Mac OSX

So I can only use VEP on a slave PC/Mac and the Mac with Protools???
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog BBQ View Post
been watching the videos and it says it only works with RTAS on Mac OSX
No, this is not correct. It also runs as AU.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM

Hi all,
I started a thread with some of my findings here:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=268117

In addition to my experiences of a couple of weeks ago, I'm finding:

*VEPro behaves MUCH better at higher buffers, but this isn't much good if you're trying to record drums....
* Spectrasonics VI's (Omnisphere in particular, but also Trilian) seem to behave better in VEPro than they do as RTAS.... Fewer of those awful CPU spikes.
* The volume level of VEPro is so low that I'm now trying to figure out the best way of upping the volume of mixes overall...!
* I wish that the audio outputs from VEPro match the inputs of PT

Otherwise it's kind of fine....
I'm loving the preserve function, and that for me is a big bonus.... But generally it seems as if a much faster Mac than my DP 2.3 G5 would be far more comfortable running VI's in VEPro....
Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Bump...?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
Bump...?
I've had no problem with getting enough level out of VE Pro. In fact, more often than not I'm pulling the level down on the VE Pro Master Bus coming back into PT. Maybe your levels in protools are too high.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:34 PM

Jon. Wanted to PM or email you but you don't have the permissions set up. Could you drop me a line..? David.