Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2015, 01:57 AM

Default Pro tools 12 with Reaper via Rewire to load vsti

Friends I am trying to use Rewire with Reaper using PT12 to load a VSTi i have made it to work as i can play the vsti through Pro tools 12. However, PT12 is unable to record the midi notes when tying to record.

I am currently using Mac OS X Yosemite without any midi controller. Do I need to create Audio Midi Setup since i don't have a controller? How will it work so i can record the Midi notes from Reaper to Pro tools 12?

Your help would be much appreciated.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 12 with Reaper via Rewire to load vsti

I don't have anything to offer regarding this particular problem.

But in case you don't know, there are other ways of running VSTi's in PT12. There are a couple of AAX plugins that allow you to load VSTi's, and then you can use them in PT12. There is the Blue Cat Patchwork plugin, or DDMF's Metasynth. Each works quite well.

Again, just an FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khushalbhadra View Post
Friends I am trying to use Rewire with Reaper using PT12 to load a VSTi i have made it to work as i can play the vsti through Pro tools 12. However, PT12 is unable to record the midi notes when tying to record.

I am currently using Mac OS X Yosemite without any midi controller. Do I need to create Audio Midi Setup since i don't have a controller? How will it work so i can record the Midi notes from Reaper to Pro tools 12?

Your help would be much appreciated.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:24 AM

I also don't use Reaper, I use Vienna Instruments Pro to host VST VI's. I am assuming you are using Pro Tools and putting Reaper in as a plugin using ReWire? Or using Reaper stand alone with ReWire as a plugin?

I don't know if Reaper can run as an insert wrapped with ReWire, but if it can you can do what I do with VIP.

I start Vienna Ensemble Pro, then start Pro Tools. Then I put an instance of Vienna Instruments Pro as a track insert on an Instrument Track. I click connect and it hooks up VEP to Pro Tools and Vienna Instruments comes up. I then create an instrument track in VIP. I then set VIP to receive and transmit on a particular midi port. Then I use a MIDI track in Pro Tools and send it's MIDI to the midi port and channel I want in VIP.

The hosted VI's audio then plays out of VIP's out to Pro Tools assigned out on Pro Tools channel strip, usually the Mix L-R.

I'm hoping this would parallel the way you would do this with Reaper and ReWire.

Edit: I think Tom@Metro uses Reaper with Pro Tools, he might be able to give you better info.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:35 AM

I haven't tried in PT12, but in 11 the way I do it is to record the MIDI in Pro Tools and then send the MIDI to Reaper to trigger the VI.
I'm not 100% sure that you can send MIDI data from Reaper to Pro Tools while using Reaper as Rewire in Pro Tools. I think you can just send Audio data back from the Rewire instrument.
Since you mention that you can play MIDI from Pro Tools to Reaper I would go that route and record the MIDI in Pro Tools then send it to Reaper to trigger the instrument.
If anything at least your MIDI data will be stored in your Pro Tools session for organization purposes.
Hope that helps.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 06-17-2015, 06:39 AM

Repear can work rewired from pro tools. You need to install Reaper before pro tools for it to work properly (as from past experience), then you select reaper from the insert selection in the instrument menu.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-17-2015, 07:36 AM

Have you tried Bluecat Audio Patchworks?

Let's you load VSTs and VSTi's directly in PT.

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

EDIT - Doh! I see this was already mentioned.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
i have made it to work as i can play the vsti through Pro tools 12
Quote:
I am currently using Mac OS X Yosemite without any midi controller.
How are you playing and getting sound from the VSTi without a MIDI controller?

Last edited by Dnnspv; 06-17-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnnspv View Post
How are you playing and getting sound from the VSTi without a MIDI controller?
Well I used the virtual keyboard in Reaper but the notes aren't getting recorded. Guess its the routing thats the issue.

Also thank you so much guys for each reply, yes I am able to open Reaper inside Pro Tools 12 but but some how it ain't getting recorded.

However, I will check out DDMF, is it Free? Does anyone also know how to load AU plugins inside PT12?
Old 06-17-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Well I used the virtual keyboard in Reaper but the notes aren't getting recorded. Guess its the routing thats the issue.
Seems simpler to buy a hardware midi controller since you will be working with MIDI and VSTi's.

However, Chirp may work.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:32 AM

BTW, AU plugins cannot be loaded in Pro Tools (Pro Tools uses AAX only). Load AU plugins in a VI Host, which is Reaper in your case. There may be stable wrappers too, not sure.