Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Default Re: about to upgrade to new computer, HD Native, PTHD 10...thoughts on build?

As there have been a number of reports of good performance on the 6 core Mac Pros, I was thinking of basing my build around this chip:
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Besides the price, are there any negatives to using this chip? And does anyone have a recommendation for a solid motherboard to pair it with?
Thanks in advance,
Tommy
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Default Re: about to upgrade to new computer, HD Native, PTHD 10...thoughts on build?

Not so much out there yet.
I found this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5089/s...x79-pro-review
Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdwyer View Post
And does anyone have a recommendation for a solid motherboard to pair it with?
Without testing, ASUS P9X79 Pro would be my pick and in retrospect I wished I had gone with ASUS instead of Gigabyte with X58 due to Gigabyte being a little unstable under some circumstances. With X58 and X79 both being enthusiast platforms, I don't think I would run that risk again.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 AM

It's going to be very interesting watching to see the performance of these new Intel 6-core processors with Pro Tools HD|Native. I'm on an HD|3 Accel system right now running Pro Tools 10 HD, but I just traded in an old MIX Core card for a Native Core card - that will be my system of the future. Once I get it up and running I'll decide if I'm going to keep the HD|3 system around for tracking and then move over to the Native system for mixing or what. If the Native system works great for tracking and mixing I might just switch over entirely. We'll see, though. I JUST built a new computer for the HD|3 rig so I'd like to get a little more use out of it before switching over.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 PM

well. the legacy trade-in toward an HD native is about to end, so i pulled the trigger today on the new stuff.

ordered the HD Native card. ordering the computer in the morning.

essentially going with Mrpollack's build (2600k, Asus Z68 Pro). the 6-core is really expensive, and honestly i never even came close to maxing out my Q6600 rig.

should be up and running by the end of the weekend. this'll be the 3rd Pro Tools PC i've built, and i've become reasonably decent at it, so keeping my fingers crossed for success.

will keep y'all posted.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:09 PM

also- i took the advice and will be using W7 Pro, as well as a standard SATA drive for the system drive (no SSD)
Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 AM

reportback on build-

computer works great.

it had some initial things where it'd turn off after i turned it on and then would immediately turn on again. it doesn't do that anymore.

got all sorts of weird display errors....was really worried. finally swapped out my DVI cable for a VGA and all is well. weird 'cause the cable worked perfectly on my previous rig literally the day before. going to try another DVI cable and see what's up.

the machine is damn fast. runs very cool and not too noisy.

was running PT 9 for a day while i tweaked the machine. things worked great. had 150 tracks with 5 plugs on each and the CPU didn't even crack 50%. and that's with turbo boost + OC off.

running into the common firmware update issue. resolving that in an hour or so on a friend's mac and then i'll be testing out 10.0.1