Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2004, 11:20 PM

Default Midi Configuration Question

I am a new 002 user and I bought a KORG microKONTROL midi controller (USB). So far so good.

I installed the Reason Adaptive software and loaded Pro Tools 6.1.1 and couldn't get the RA plugin to work, so...

I closed PT and opened RA stand-alone and went into the preferences and configured the midi settings for my USB device and I could use my keyboard just fine as well as record in RA.

I then closed RA and opened up PT and added a RA input, i which RA starts and states that there is a "midi input problem" and that my devices are probably in use by another application. I can't use my keyboard now. I go back in RA and try to set the midi settings to another device and all I get is "midi input problem". The only way it will stop complaining is if I select no input device.

Summary: If I call up RA through PT, I get nothing or errors stating midi input problem. However, if I configure RA outside of PT, it works fine.

Is there something in the setup I am missing in either application?

Thanks for your help.

Mitch.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Midi Configuration Question

Quote:
I am a new 002 user and I bought a KORG microKONTROL midi controller (USB). So far so good.

I installed the Reason Adaptive software and loaded Pro Tools 6.1.1 and couldn't get the RA plugin to work, so...

I closed PT and opened RA stand-alone and went into the preferences and configured the midi settings for my USB device and I could use my keyboard just fine as well as record in RA.

I then closed RA and opened up PT and added a RA input, i which RA starts and states that there is a "midi input problem" and that my devices are probably in use by another application. I can't use my keyboard now. I go back in RA and try to set the midi settings to another device and all I get is "midi input problem". The only way it will stop complaining is if I select no input device.

Summary: If I call up RA through PT, I get nothing or errors stating midi input problem. However, if I configure RA outside of PT, it works fine.

Is there something in the setup I am missing in either application?

Thanks for your help.

Mitch.
Mitch, PT will always grab the midi inputs and the "midi input problem" will pop up when you launch Reason from within PT. Just click "OK" and Reason should launch. Now, to control Reason with your keyboard, you need create a MIDI track in Pro Tools. The Reason instruments should show up in the Pro-Tools MIDI assign pulldown - just select the instrument you want to control, record enable the Midi channel and you'll hear it.

Yosemite OS
Old 02-23-2004, 11:22 AM

Thanks. It looks as if the notes are beig recorded now, but I don't get any sound to come out the mains. I am new at midi and the 002 so please forgive my ignorance.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:44 AM

I figured it out! So that everyone knows the rest of the story this is what I did.

In Reason Adaptive I had to configure nothing.
In Pro Tools I created a Midi Track and set the input to my midi keyboard device and the output to the synth (i.e. Sub Tractor) I wanted. I then could record the notes, but I couldn't hear them in Pro Tools.

Next, I created an Aux Track and set the input to "no input" (default) and the output to Analog 1-2 (default). Then on the inserts I selected the Reason Adaptive plugin. The Rewire dialog pops up and I changed the box that says <no output> to Mix L. I now can hear my midi track. To complete the process I added a second insert, and selected the Reason Adaptive plugin again and set it to Mix R. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am guessing that I would want both a left and right mix if I want sterio (L & R) output.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:31 PM

Good - you're doing it all correctly except for one thing. Unless you need to break out your Reason instruments separately, bring in Reason through a stereo Aux track, then in the Rewire dialogue select Mix Left/Right. That'll give you both sides of the stereo feed from Reason.

Yosemite OS