How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2020, 04:26 AM

Default PT extremly slow with enabled network-connection

Hello everybody,

I have a big problem with my Pro Tools 2020.9 installation on my Windows 10 system (Version 2004, build 18041.508). It only works when the network connection is disabled. If it is activated, it takes a very long time to start the program. When pro tools has started the program works extremely slow. When disabling the network adapter pro tools works fine. Unfortunately, sometimes I must have the network connection to do recordinmgs via session link with other studios. Do you have an idea how I can fix this problem? A few months ago, it worked fine when the network connection was enabled. So I think it has something to do with a Windows update. But unfortunately I haven't found any solution to the problem in various forums so far.
Does anyone made similar experiences?

Thanks in advance and greets from germany
Martin
Old 09-15-2020, 04:43 AM

Default Re: PT extremly slow with enabled network-connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMartin View Post
Hello everybody,

I have a big problem with my Pro Tools 2020.9 installation on my Windows 10 system (Version 2004, build 18041.508). It only works when the network connection is disabled. If it is activated, it takes a very long time to start the program. When pro tools has started the program works extremely slow. When disabling the network adapter pro tools works fine. Unfortunately, sometimes I must have the network connection to do recordinmgs via session link with other studios. Do you have an idea how I can fix this problem? A few months ago, it worked fine when the network connection was enabled. So I think it has something to do with a Windows update. But unfortunately I haven't found any solution to the problem in various forums so far.
Does anyone made similar experiences?

Thanks in advance and greets from germany
Martin
Similar experience from OneDrive. Perhaps the update changed settings, activated, installed, reset OneDrive in ways that made OneDrive start to synchronize with the 5GB OneDrive quota in the microsoft cloud. OneDrive can behave invasively and frankly it is a piece of sh...t IMO.

I have un-installed OneDrive here, and live happily ever after.

Still on 1903 here, and plan to upgrade to 2020.9 / 2004, so pls report how things proceed for you.

/FZZ
Old 09-15-2020, 06:09 AM

I've had similar issues with OneDrive and have it disabled on my PT computer. Since PT stores info in your Documents folder, it is always syncing in OneDrive and this can slow things down.

Take a look at this Microsoft article on how to change your OneDrive settings or remove it all together.

It's worth disabling it to see if your problem goes away.

System Details
Old 09-15-2020, 09:24 AM

I uninstalled OneDrive but it did'nt fix the problem.

Again I checked the PT Troubleshooting advices.

One point I did'nt trie was "Create a new user account".

I did so and created this new user account and it seems that there are no problems with network and PT.

So I conclude:
1.) there is no hardware problem (e.g. with networkadapter or it's driver)
2.) the problem is my current (old) user account

So far, so good. Now I have to find out what's wrong with my current user. I fear to setup everything in the new account.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMartin View Post
I uninstalled OneDrive but it did'nt fix the problem.

Again I checked the PT Troubleshooting advices.

One point I did'nt trie was "Create a new user account".

I did so and created this new user account and it seems that there are no problems with network and PT.

So I conclude:
1.) there is no hardware problem (e.g. with networkadapter or it's driver)
2.) the problem is my current (old) user account

So far, so good. Now I have to find out what's wrong with my current user. I fear to setup everything in the new account.
Some synapses in my brain got triggered and I remember reading about the below. Being an account issue, perhaps it has got something to do with microsoft forcing users onto on-line accounts:

"Last year, Microsoft promoted the use of Windows 10 online accounts to some users in the United States. It is not easy to find local account options when users install the system.

Microsoft does not completely prevent users from using local accounts but hides its options. If users do not carefully observe the installation interface, it will be difficult to find this option.

The reason why Microsoft requires users to use online accounts is actually very simple. Online accounts can provide more cross-platform functions and collect more data from users. With a local account, Microsoft cannot capture and upload a lot of private information."

Found it here:
https://meterpreter.org/microsoft-co...-installation/

/FZZ
Old 09-15-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkzzaJ View Post
Some synapses in my brain got triggered and I remember reading about the below. Being an account issue, perhaps it has got something to do with microsoft forcing users onto on-line accounts:

"Last year, Microsoft promoted the use of Windows 10 online accounts to some users in the United States. It is not easy to find local account options when users install the system.

Microsoft does not completely prevent users from using local accounts but hides its options. If users do not carefully observe the installation interface, it will be difficult to find this option.

The reason why Microsoft requires users to use online accounts is actually very simple. Online accounts can provide more cross-platform functions and collect more data from users. With a local account, Microsoft cannot capture and upload a lot of private information."

Found it here:
https://meterpreter.org/microsoft-co...-installation/

/FZZ

Very interesting information.

However, my current user is set to "local" - or let's say: I think so. But maybe there are some hidden options which have to be found, but where? I'll have to look around at google...

For the moment I decide to use the new account for working with PT.

Thanks,
Martin
Old 09-16-2020, 01:55 AM

Looks like P.T. trying so connect with smth,but do not able to.
In my opinion it`s a bug.Or internet issue
Old 09-17-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Not_Tennerman View Post
Looks like P.T. trying so connect with smth,but do not able to.
In my opinion it`s a bug.Or internet issue

I may have found a new clue to the problem.
There is another pc in my network which is rarely switched on. I have connected it as a network drive on my PT computer. By chance the second pc was switched on yesterday and it's network drive was available. From this moment on PT started without problems. Now i wonder why PT has problems if this network drive is not available?
More network drives are connected from a NAS server. If they are'nt available (NAS-server switched off), there are no problems with starting PT. Only when the second pc is turned off does it seem to have these problems. I don't know, what PT is searching on this network drive?

Greets, Martin