Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-28-2003, 05:57 PM

Default Hard Disk Read Ahead for 001

Have any of you P.C. based 001 users experimented with changing the settings for Hard Disk Read Ahead Optimization? This setting is found under System Properties, Performance, File System, Hard Disk... (just right click My Computer and follow my road map). You have a variable option for Hard Disk Read Ahead Optimiztion. You can vary the setting from None to Full. I have heard it said (on the Net) that setting this option to None allows better throughput for multi-media applications. I would asume one would have to know how the Pro Tools LE software utilizes this Windows feature... (I am running Windows 98 SE on a 1 gig PIII platform with 7200 rpm hard drives and 512 meg of ram). Some manufacturers of P.C. based recording platforms suggest setting this option to None to optimize their systems. Does anyone out there know Pro Tools LE well enough to comment? (I have my P.C. set to Network Server as it's "typical role")
Old 03-01-2003, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Hard Disk Read Ahead for 001

Hi

I set the Read ahead Optimization in my system to None, because this way the CPU doesn't have to go ahead and read files unnecessary that reside on the drive, thus consuming more cycles, but only those requested to perform the playback operation; it seems to like it this way, and I too found it on many tech articles and web sited discussiong PC optimization for audio workstations; I set myne as a network server too, so as to allow it for the maximum throughput capability. These and some other settings give me 94% of system performance on Win 98.

Hope this helps

L.G.