Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-28-2017, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Saturation, Analog Warmth, etc. plugins

Wave Art's original Tube Saturator is pretty fantastically hard to beat. And it just so happens to be FREE now. It's hard on the CPU, but you won't find many plugs that can touch it's tube grit and the EQ is pretty fantastic too. For FREE, you owe it to yourself to try it.

http://wavearts.com/about/news/wave-...rator-vintage/
Old 08-28-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
You misunderstood. I wrote that preface to say what you just wrote, in less words.. apparently too little. Basically saying that if I do end up like one of the demos better than SlickEQ, can you still eq a specific freq with the method I wrote out
Depending on the product you choose, always read the manual while demoing. I made a comparison a while ago between Little-radiator and Omega A and N, here's the link in case you think that might help
https://youtu.be/9889misQqnI
Old 08-29-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
Wave Art's original Tube Saturator is pretty fantastically hard to beat. And it just so happens to be FREE now. It's hard on the CPU, but you won't find many plugs that can touch it's tube grit and the EQ is pretty fantastic too. For FREE, you owe it to yourself to try it.

http://wavearts.com/about/news/wave-...rator-vintage/
Totally agree with this choice, use it on bass all the time....
Old 08-29-2017, 06:59 PM

Definitely gonna download Tube Saturator Vintage. Great reviews and free.. no brainier.

From what I've been reading about McDSP, I'm now thinking I might get their 24 plugs for $15/month. What do you guys think of their other stuff? The Ultimate EQ (6020 I think it's called) looks cool.
I know Slate also does suites for a similar monthly rate. Any recommendations on those? Like if there's one inparticular that they really nail, or are they all equally good (for what each offers)? I can probably swing McDSP's and one of Slate's.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 PM

Default Saturation, Analog Warmth, etc. plugins

I have the package of 5 plugs for sale, which means they are yours never to disappear!!!

Not true with subscriptions.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...lugins%2C+sale
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 08-30-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Definitely gonna download Tube Saturator Vintage. Great reviews and free.. no brainier.

From what I've been reading about McDSP, I'm now thinking I might get their 24 plugs for $15/month. What do you guys think of their other stuff? The Ultimate EQ (6020 I think it's called) looks cool.
I know Slate also does suites for a similar monthly rate. Any recommendations on those? Like if there's one in particular that they really nail, or are they all equally good (for what each offers)? I can probably swing McDSP's and one of Slate's.
If you're looking at a one-or-the-other situation I'd go for the McDSP deal. Colin really cares about getting stuff done right and you don't have to wait forever for bug fixes. There's a reason the words 'Slate' and 'soon' when used together are a joke around here. He keeps making promises and missing dates or things/fixes become vaporware by default.

Back to the subject of this thread - my current favorites for getting warmth are PSP's Vintage Warmer 2 and the Waves Abbey Road J37 plugins. VW2 is not just a saturation/warmth plugin but also a pretty good multi-band compressor.

QAPLA!
Old 08-30-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If you're looking at a one-or-the-other situation I'd go for the McDSP deal. Colin really cares about getting stuff done right and you don't have to wait forever for bug fixes. There's a reason the words 'Slate' and 'soon' when used together are a joke around here. He keeps making promises and missing dates or things/fixes become vaporware by default.

Back to the subject of this thread - my current favorites for getting warmth are PSP's Vintage Warmer 2 and the Waves Abbey Road J37 plugins. VW2 is not just a saturation/warmth plugin but also a pretty good multi-band compressor.
VW2 is also $150 and way outta my price range and I can't demo J37 cuz I apparently already did last December; i have no recollection of what I thought..

Anyone know how much AC costs normally (versus the $50 sale price)? Also, is the $15/mo McDSP subscription a sale price? If so, what is it normally? Their sale ends tomorrow, the 31st, so I pretty much have until tonight to decide. I'm still waiting on their support for these answers.

Also, to answer your question, I'm not asking for an either or.. I was saying that I can afford to buy the McDSP subscription and one of Slate's. I'm not even familiar with the suites they offer via subscription, but I always hear great things about their products. I plan on demoing everything before making a desicion, I'm just curious Slate hit the nail on the head with a specific suite and would be considered a must have.. regardless of what effect or emulation the suite focuses on.

Last edited by adam79; 08-30-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:02 PM

I finally tried AC. I didn't get that far, but I tried putting AC101 on every track and the mix bus.. something suggested by many people on various forums. I did three bounces, each one with a different console preset on every AC101 instance. When comparing the 3 with AC101 to the one that didn't, the difference sounded minimal. I know that this plugin is subtle. Maybe it could be that I only have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones for mixing; no monitors!

In mostly every mixing tutorial, book or whatever there's always the underlying theme that less can be better. Several small subtle changes can turn into a bigger change for the better. Could my ears just not be trained well enough? I know a decent amount, but not nearly enough.

Now I'm confused on what to do with my $50. Even though I'm having a hard time distinguishing one of those bounces I mentioned from the other, maybe it'll might help my ears adapt to subtle changes.

The AC202, on the other hand, sounded amazing and was instantly recognizable.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:05 PM

That happened to me when I was starting to use saturation, the procedure I found most useful (because I was born in the digital era) was to use exaggerated amounts that I could easily hear until I learn what exactly saturation was about. Now that I know what distortion can or can't do for my tracks are back to more subtle settings.

Keep in mind that many plugins already) come with a clipping or saturation algorithm and chances are you have one or two of those. I sometimes use Avid Lo-fi, it has all of the above and more and we all have it!
Old 08-30-2017, 08:13 PM

https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/SDRR/SDRR.php

There's a free version too.