Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Help with a M-Audio Midi controller

Hello and let me start by saying I have no idea if posting here will help at all but I have posted in the M-Audio support forums and it has been 2 weeks and no response so maybe if I post here someone could help me out. Recently Sweetwater had a promotion for an M-Audio Keystation 49es and it works as a midi controller and I desperatly needed one for my Pro Tools 11 setup so I went out and bought the keystation. I got it home and plugged it up into pro tools and pro tools recognized the divice as an input source but it does not give levels or any sound when keys are pressed, and yes the device was turned on lol. On a Instrument track I have the I as All and the Out as the plugin im using (XPAND2!) for example, in a midi it would be all and routed to the same instrument of another track or whate ever. Anyway I can't get it to work with pro tools in giving me levels, sounds or writing midi at all and I really need it to work. I opened up my Ableton Live 9 Suite and it does work in that software for levels midi recording and sound so that tells me I think that my drivers are up-to-date. Any help in maybe making this work would be great, I am pretty new to midi in Pro Tools and from what I have heard it can be hard to grasp at first but im learning... slowly... Any help would be greatly recieved.

system info:
Windows 8.1 64bit
Pro tools 11 64bit
Interface is Eleven Rack
The key station is a USB
Old 11-18-2013, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Help with a M-Audio Midi controller

Hi and Welcome to the Forums

Does it work if you record arm the instrument track you want to hear sound from when playing the keys of the keystation!?

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-18-2013, 05:48 PM

No, sorry I should have mentioned that. Even when it is armed to record nothing comes through.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 PM

Have you done the following below:

In Pro Tools go to the top bar

SETUP>MIDI>INPUT DEVICES

Does the keyboard show there and is it checked? What other options are in there?

If it is not checked, check the box, hit OK.
Close down Pro Tools and Restart Pro Tools.

Also under options in PT11 make sure that "midi thru" is checked aswell under the options or settings menu.

And lastly you have set up the track like this right?

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2092986&postcount=11

Hope that it helps and post back whatever happens

Best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2013, 01:37 AM

I went in and checked all of that, and it still isn't working I already had everything done in my session that you asked me to check to see if I did. Any other possible solutions?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseBrady View Post
I went in and checked all of that, and it still isn't working I already had everything done in my session that you asked me to check to see if I did. Any other possible solutions?
Try setting up an Instrumnet track
Set the out to your interface out and leave the "input" as it is from making a new instrument track.
Then setup an instrument from the top of the track and chose say Xpand2!
rec arm the track and see if you get any sound. The output on the instrument track should not be an instrument name, it has to be the output of your audio interface so try these settings and post back. Please do exacly as described here and then it should narrow it down.

Best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 AM

So Stereo Instrument Track in Ticks

Instrument Input set to ALL
Instrument Output set to Eleven Rack Channel One (there are 16 Channels and no option for all channels)
Insert Xpand2!
No Sends
I/O
No input for I
Out to MainOutL/R
Recording Enabled
Fader set to default

Above is what I did and it didn't seem to help =/
Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM

What do you mean instrument output set to eleven rack? Do you have output on the channel set to main left and right and if so, is that what is the main output where you hear all the other things you recorded?

Instrument track -> instrument insert -> set midichannel to "all" and output of
The track you have the instrument on to main out L/R or what ever you have namned the main output. Rec arm the track and if you have done everything posted above I don't understand if you can't hear anything

If this doesn't work there has to be something very wrong in the setup of your system. Have you set the Midi Thru to check? Made sure your midi keyboard is under midi instruments and made sure your i/o settings are ALL set to default!?

If so then I don't think I can do much more here and hopefully someone else can chime in with further suggestions as to why you have this issue.

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2013, 05:49 PM

This is bothersome =/ I can still write midi in by hand and move it around on screen... but man that takes forever. I looked and reviewed all setting you mentioned above and they are exactly what I have set I also went inand reset all of my I/O and Peripheral settings to default and then went and made an instrument track with all the things you said to do. Still nada. I don't know whether to be upset with pro tools or M-Audio, because the controller does work with no problems in Ableton... ugh... Looks like its back to the drooling hours of writing in individual velocity and notes =/ Thank you for taking the time and responding, thats more than what M-Audio did, if any other ideas pop up on solutions let e know though
Old 07-06-2015, 02:40 PM

I had the same problem and I solve it using a powered USB hub, I connected my usb keyboard (m-audio prokeys 88) to the hub and connected the hub to my mac (retina) then everything works, Im using pro tools HD11, and OS X 10.10.4