Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 AM

Default Mac Audio through HD Native (thunderbolt)

Hi folks,

I'm having trouble getting my Mac to play none Pro Tools audio through my HD Native (Thunderbolt) set up.

HD Native is appearing as an option for input and output in Sounds options but when I select it and then go back into the menu it defaults back to regular settings or Pro Tools Aggregate.

I only discovered this as I've just purchased IK Multimedia's ARC2 and can't get it to play the test audio through HD Native.

Can anyone supply an idiot's guide to setting this up? I'm guessing I have to do something in the CoreAudio Manager but info is vague in the manual?

Many Thanks.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Mac Audio through HD Native (thunderbolt)

I'm using HDIO 8x8x8.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 AM

I just recently figured out how to do this. I'm on an Omni, not an HD IO, but hopefully it should work the same way.

I'm assuming you've selected HD Native under System Preferences>Output Tab>HD Native.

After that, open Audio Midi setup. In the left column, click HD Native as the option (it will highlight it in blue).

At this point it should open the Avid Core Audio program. You could also open this ahead of time.

In the window at the right, make sure clock is set to Internal.

Click the Output tab. You may need to make sure the sample rate is set to 44000 hz.

Do not worry about the volume sliders in the section below, as they are not needed.

Down at the bottom right, click Configure Speakers. A window will drop down. Choose Stereo at the top (assuming you just want a stereo feed).

You should see 2 rectangles, saying Left and Right, or Left Front and Right Front. Underneath those, you can select which output will be the Left, or Right, etc. Assuming on your HD IO you're using output 1-2 for your monitoring, in this window you would select output 1 for Left, and in the other rectangle, 2 for Right.

Now, MAKE SURE your VOLUME is not very high on your monitor control, both for your speakers and your headphones!

You can click on each rectangle, and it will emit some pink noise. You should be able to hear it through your speakers and headphones, the noise from the left rectangle should come through the left speaker/headphone, and the right from the right. Assuming you hear this, and hear it correctly, you should be good to go. You can now quit Audio Midi setup, and all of your system sound should come through your HD IO, including Itunes, Youtube videos, and whatever else.

I have not used the ARC, but I'm guessing you need to do all of the above first, and then open ARC and select HD Native.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM

Hi there,

Thanks a million for that!

All sorted.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:31 PM

Hey all,

I know this thread is pretty dead but I had the same question as the original post and I followed the posted steps but had no success.

Basically I'm trying to play audio from my mac output to two of my speakers through HD Native.

What I've tried so far.

System Preferences --> output --> HD Native (Selected)
and I get the message "the selected device has no output controls"

Avid Core Audio (Opened)

Audio Midi Setup --> HD Native (Selected) --> Output --> configure speakers --> Apply --> Done
Testing the speakers works at this point, but the volume levels in the window are non adjustable for me, as well as the mac output audio, so it blasts the pink noise at full volume.

This should be the last step, but no sound comes out my mac and I'm unable to adjust it's volume.