Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2002, 03:08 PM

Default Lots of little files

I just got an interesting, well paid but boring job. I am not sure the best way to go about it. I have to record a voice library for an IVR system. That is one of those systems you call and get a machine that says press 1 for this or press 2 for that. This system needs to give out street addresses. So if the thing says "143 North Main Street" it is actually playing a string of 6 sound files.("1", "4", "3", "north" "main", "street") When I'm done I will have thousands of files.

My job is to record those files. When I'm done I will have thousands of files. I figure the best way to do this is to record 200-300 words (Street names, numbers, etc.) at a time with pro tools then crop them up into individual small files later.

I'm looking for advice on the most efficient way to crop them into small files. Ideally I would select a section of the file, be able to play back only what I have selected, then save only the selected section selection into a new file (called main.wav for example).

I don't think there is an easy way to do this with protools. Is anyone familiar with any other software that would work for this? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help!
Tom Penney
Old 01-21-2002, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Lots of little files

hi Tom
I believe you can just ¨separate region¨ on that track, select the region, go to the audio menu (or press Ctrl+Shift+K) and export selected as files. I´m not sure if you HAVE to separate the region first or if just selecting will do the trick

good luck

www.abacomusic.com
Old 01-21-2002, 03:33 PM

Since yer doing so many samples, I would use recycle to chop them up - probably will save you several thousand mouse-clicks....I did a similar project using only soundforge and recycle - BBBBOOOORRRIIINNNGGG! especially naming wach word.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:22 PM

If I were doing it, I would record in PT and edit elsewhere.
For instance, editing in CoolEdit would allow me to open the long .wav, copy a short section, paste in a new file, name, close and go right back to the long file for the next clip. All without having to deal with sessions.
I've done a couple of live album edits this way.
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you... Be nice if they were paying by the hour.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:42 PM

yer all off the mark.... just record all the street names on a single track * don't cough * and use strip silence to cut it up into small regions. then export those regions as wav files....
Old 01-21-2002, 05:46 PM

And the winnner is.... Dr. Jaws
Old 01-21-2002, 05:47 PM

Cool, I´ve never used the strip silence function....

www.abacomusic.com
Old 01-21-2002, 06:05 PM

That is a really cool function...and you're right to point it out.
This really opens up a broader subject for me, though. Why I still reach for another tool to edit mono and stereo files/mixes...
When ever I need to reach for a blade, I choose a smaller application.
Loads faster, direct access to the audio file (no Sessions>Import,etc.), and copy/paste is a faster process than export & bounce in PT.
I can have the program up and running, with the .wav loaded much quicker than going thru any similar process with PTLE... on my machine.
That's just my opinion and preference. I suspect the many Logic users here may have similar reasons.
It's not my intention to suggest it's the only way. Just another option.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
yer all off the mark.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-22-2002, 09:57 AM

you trickkkky basstard!
Old 01-22-2002, 10:28 AM

hehehe... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]