Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Default Help with Recording and Sending MIDI to Client

Hi there,

I don't do much MIDI recording. I have a client coming in and I want to make sure I do this right.

One of the things I'll be recording is piano via MIDI (despite having a real piano here...) This is an overdub session and I'll be sending this stuff back to the original engineer. They will be choosing the virtual piano that they prefer and all they need is the MIDI file. I will also be sending them the audio I record as a reference.

Getting ready for the session, I've made a template and I opened up the Mini Grand in an Instrument Track. I bussed that track to an Audio track so I'd have a fully rendered audio track with no need to bounce one down. Protools does not have a default MIDI files folder (maybe it's something in the settings?) the same way it has the audio files folder. It seems I need to export the MIDI from the Instrument Track in order to have a version I can send to the other engineer.

Does anyone know a way I can do this more efficiently?

I'd like to be able to run the session as I usually would, then drag the audio and MIDI files into Dropbox without having to export or render anything. Not a huge deal if I'm forced to take some extra steps, but there's about a dozen songs and if there are multiple takes, etc., it would be nice to just drag the stuff over after recording.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2017, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Help with Recording and Sending MIDI to Client

Hi, I'm assuming the other studio isn't using Pro Tools? If so, the easiest thing to do would be to send the Pro Tools session file and they could import the MIDI track from that. The only other way I know of is to export the MIDI to a MIDI file and send it that way.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB