Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM

Default Re: TDM support in Pro Tools 11 petition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
But it is a FACT that as TDM plugins stand, they are not 64bit, and it's a pain in the ass to make them run that way. And making them run on HDX, well now your talking about entirely new plugins anyway, so there is no argument. They would be different anyway. Right?
How about a simple wrapper for DSP to AAX as is used with RTAS and a program that can be used with TDM cards and a 64 bit PT system??? It would basically just need to drop convert the info to 32 bit communication for DSP cards... This can be done by a third party and If one does this, they will be the bread winner.... IDK if a petition will do a thing, but a developer who makes a program to tie the 2 worlds together would make it big time and Avid can continue to go the route they are and the older users will still be happy.

To me this is WAY easier than writing extra code to get PT 11 at 64 bit to work with DSP or getting companies not interested in AAX to still make TDM plugs as they could be used in PT 11

Just a thought...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
How about a simple wrapper for DSP to AAX as is used with RTAS and a program that can be used with TDM cards and a 64 bit PT system??? It would basically just need to drop convert the info to 32 bit communication for DSP cards... This can be done by a third party and If one does this, they will be the bread winner.... IDK if a petition will do a thing, but a developer who makes a program to tie the 2 worlds together would make it big time and Avid can continue to go the route they are and the older users will still be happy.

To me this is WAY easier than writing extra code to get PT 11 at 64 bit to work with DSP or getting companies not interested in AAX to still make TDM plugs as they could be used in PT 11

Just a thought...
If it's so simple... go ahead and write it.

This suggestion keeps coming up, and no one seems to have any idea what would be involved in actually developing a wrapper that would handle the DSP efficiently.

If we see how UAD and FXpasion does it... there's no way you could do it with low latency or be able to get as many voices out of TDM as you would normally. It's not worth the effort, unless you are willing to do it.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
If it's so simple... go ahead and write it. :rolleyes
I never said it was EASY... I said it would be easier... than writing code to make PT11 work with DSP.... without bugs or code conflicts atleast.

It can be done however I do not write code and the people I know that do are extremely busy in their current coding projects.

Im saying it is not impossible and to me a better Idea than trying to get Avid to do it as they most likely will not bother to even listen, let alone actual work on it. To them a new version/new coding for plugins/new hardware= more income as people need new products to make it work... they definitely dont make any more money off of the already sold DSP systems that pay a small fee to upgrade PT versions.. their money comes in the bundle... hardware and software package.... while it looks like a big investment for small outcome at this point with AAX over years it will become industry standard just as TDM was and to a degree still is. At that point Im sure every major plug in manufacture will be writing AAX versions as it will be worth it at that point.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 PM

My hope is for 11 to be strictly new code on par or surpassing what is currently available in the daw world. freeze, offline bounce, bus freeze, advanced object editing, efficient VI's, etc. Nothing legacy.

AAX-Native plug-ins and modern freeze & object options (like samplitude, studio one) may be enough for the music-only setups. AAX-DSP may not be needed by them.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
My hope is for 11 to be strictly new code on par or surpassing what is currently available in the daw world. freeze, offline bounce, bus freeze, advanced object editing, efficient VI's, etc. Nothing legacy.
Agreed, which is why I think it is/will be up to a 3rd party to make a software to allow older DSP systems to run with the new software.... Brand new code usually= no old hardware compatibility. The question is who is willing to do it.... because if no one does... well then it is what it is.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 PM

The need of the company (avid) and the need of a vast majority of customers (which I am part of) is for PT to move forward with the new formats and the new hardware without it being crippled by the old coding and the limitation that the current version (PT 10 ) currently have. So yes that means that the next version of PT must be a new one completely. New codes, no more TDM/RTAS, 64 bit memory access for VI's, better tools for MIDI and more Audio tools that have been requested.

Any company that stagnates instead of moving forward will eventually die, so while I understand that people have made huge investments, I know I have, the company (Avid) has to move on with newer products (HDN/HDX/AAX) hardware based, since they are a hardware company and that's where they make most of their money. To ask avid to keep pushing forward the life expectancy of TDM is only asking avid to die in the long run.

PT 10 is the transition. There's no need for a PT 11 transition boat with TDM/RTAS in it. If you can't keep up stay with what you have, there's nothing wrong in that. But for those of us who needs the things that is presently being crippled due to old coding, we want to move forward, and our percentage compared to those who wants to stay back in the old age, are probably far greater.

Could a third party make a bridge? who knows, maybe, maybe not and I suspect there's some pretty hard limitation in the coding it self that would prevent that. If they can, then go for it. But it's not on the shoulders of Avid to provide that one bit. What Avid needs to do is keep going forward. They provided us with a great means of transitioning to the new hardware. It's up to us to take it if we can or not, not to Avid to keep coming up with alternative for their 11 years old hardware and 22 years old coding to keep going.

So if you want a wrapper, go to those who have the experience in making them, and put pressure on them.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM

Even as a TDM user with no immediate plans to upgrade to HDX, I would be very disappointed if AVID wasted their resources on such a backwards move.

New code withe ZERO legacy tentacles holding it back is the way to go IMO.

It's time.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM

Wow 17 pages of this? Really? PT11 isn't even out yet! Who cares!

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?