Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM

Default 10 things I would do if I were the CEO of Avid...

1. I would realize that I have a beautiful software, adored by many but quickly becoming obsolete by the competition.

2. I would recognize that companies like Microsoft and the Epic Games (makers of Unreal Engine) were once the standard and are now offering their flagship software upgrades for free, because they were pressured by competitors who better listened to their fan base.

3. I would recognize that the war against skeuomorphism should not be taken to the point of absurdity, such that we eliminate the play button on the our latest controller, the S3.

4. I would recognize that a good way to lure folks away from my competitors would be to offer universal options, such as a native VST wrapper with Pro Tools, so that its easier for folks to switch from the competition.

5. I might recognize that the companies offering a software subscription are those companies that don't have as much competition for a particular product. I would also note that Adobe sold Photoshop for over $600, but leases it for $120/yr- a price far cheaper than current Pro Tools pricing.

6. I would not rely on technical support as a revenue stream. Instead, I would aim to eliminate the need for it. I would tell my programmers that we're either going lay off programmers, or lay off support staff. The decision is up to the programmers and the quality of their work.

7. My company leadership would be required to answer the support lines for 4 hours per week, until they knew and understood what the customers need.

8. I would offer the software at a price that is very, very hard to dismiss ($199 Pro Tools, $399 HD, including free decimal point revisions). Indeed, I would recognize that many people use multiple DAWs, and there is a big advantage to selling my software cheap enough to not be overlooked.

9. I would cut cost of marketing campaigns by cutting the need for them. I'd have the quality of my product do the real advertising.

10. I would focus more on the mid-size/project studios, where the market growth is located. I would put the customer first, and actually give a s***.

... Ok, so I've made my rant and vented my frustration. I know bitching usually doesn't do any good, and these statements are easy to make by someone who has no idea how to run a company. Nonetheless, in light of all the recent failures in Avid's customer satisfaction, it's fun to pretend that I could do better. All I can do at this point is decide if I want to dole out the cash for such disappointing service- at this point I'm looking elsewhere.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:03 PM

Default Re: 10 things I would do if I were the CEO of Avid...

I enjoyed your rant and actually agree with it.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5x0 View Post
I enjoyed your rant and actually agree with it.
+1
Old 03-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Perfect!! Well though out!!

But it's too logical for the typical CEO, which is the underlining problem, out of touch and greedy to the point of extinction! And I'm a Republican go figure!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Interesting mentality. "If our software is as good as we say it is, do we really need to pour so much of our resources into support plans and technical support?"
In a parallel universe where my input would make a tangible difference, I'd challenge three things as opposed to ten: To get rid of ASC entirely, to separate upgrade paths from technical support, and to separate HD software from HD hardware.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:39 PM

I can only think of the thing the CURRENT one should do

RESIGN….
Old 03-23-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkawaidessu View Post
In a parallel universe where my input would make a tangible difference, I'd challenge three things as opposed to ten: To get rid of ASC entirely, to separate upgrade paths from technical support, and to separate HD software from HD hardware.
I think you pinpointed the big ones. I could see the need to keep ASC (still scaled back), but never could understand the logic to have several versions of a professional software. Folks who already bought the hardware are rewarded with more expensive software.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:42 AM

It should all boil down to ONE simple precept: You, (any company selling a service or a product) need to earn, grow, and maintain RAVING FANS.

It is such a very simple principal and one that sadly, is being overlooked more and more in these days "profit mongering".

I KNOW a company needs to make money. That is the ONLY reason they are in business. They are not in business to employ people, to make life easier for anyone, or to deliver a product or service that is desperately needed by the masses. Those are means to an end, which is to make money.

Let's go back to the RAVING FANS concept for a moment; When I was a kid we left the farm and my father opened up a service station. (yeah I am old ). We pumped gas, changed tires, did minor mechanical repair, etc. The full service type of thing that was happening in the 60's.

For the sake of brevity, my father pounded into my brother and I that people had a CHOICE of where they were going to spend their hard earned money. He wanted to be certain that they spent it with him. To that end, we offered outstanding service, something that these customers were not getting from the guy down the road. It could be as simple as adding break fluid or anit-freeze and not charging for it, to checking the air in all of the tires, including the spare, every time she came in for gas....yeah we had one of those

It didn't cost him much to give that outstanding service, and what it did cost was returned 3 fold in dollars spent with him.

He took that service station from a 15,000 gallon a month operation to 90,000 gallons a month average. Pretty damn good for a neighborhood service station in a town of 85,000. He grew that station, and opened several more with the same philosophy and like results.

Point is here, that I am afraid that there are few raving fans left.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 AM

There are two philosophies that a company can follow..

1) Bring about a Product the people need & want & expect
Satisfying a demand

2) Bring about a product that people don't know that they need and want.
Creating a Demand

Apple is a great case of number 2. AVID obviously follows number 2.

Number 2 is more risky than number 1. Number 2, warrants that the company has a vision that correlates with that of the future-thinking of the people it seeks to satisfy.

Apple was dead on the money with the iPhone but AVID has yet to concept their iPhone. Whether Marketplace is indeed AVIDs iPhone, remains to be seen... I personally doubt it.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:33 AM

+10
In particular:
"6. I would not rely on technical support as a revenue stream. Instead, I would aim to eliminate the need for it."

As a HD11 HDX user, why am I researching an alternative long range platform for my clients and I?
HD 12 seems like a Hot Potato that had to be Passed.......

V-HD11 +1
I started in Sound Tools then Pro tools/Deck 0.56