Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Default I thought mbox supported sample rates up to 96kHz. Yet...

I got another stupid question.

I have an mbox 3. However, when I use it with ProTools on my own PC, PT refuses to create or open any project files with a sample rate of larger than 44.1 kHz. This is pretty annoying since I do everything else in the sound design lab or recording studio at school with a sample rate of at least 48 kHz. I can't even open any projects I work on elsewhere!

What I'm wondering is whether this is the mbox itself (did I get a cheaper model than I realized?) or if it's something to do with the software. Or if combining it with a PC ends in disaster. No clue.

I can get higher sample rates in other programs like Sony Vegas, Audacity, Ableton Live, you name it, so it must not be my computer in and of itself. It's only PT with the mbox that refuses to even look at such files. Which is quite a bummer, because the main reason I got PT over other programs was to mess with my ptx format projects at home and continue working on my projects once I graduated.

I might have missed where it said somewhere that mbox 3 doesn't support high sample rates. But... that's not the impression I got from googling the problem.

Any insight?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 AM

Default Re: I thought mbox supported sample rates up to 96kHz. Yet...

Are you running or monitoring the computer sounds or other software through the MBox while Pro Tools is open?..Don't. It will lock the single client driver to the sample rate of the computer or other software that might be in use.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-06-2016, 11:32 PM

Hi there,

i am having the same issue, however i dont know how check whether or not the audio drivers are being used elsewhere.. when ever im working on a project.. protools is the only thing i have running..

i'm trying to open a 96khz project which i had on my 002 with protools 8.05... since i upgraded to mbox 3 and pt11... can't open the file.... please help :!
Old 04-07-2016, 07:43 AM

Have you tried creating a new session and importing session data?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-07-2016, 02:35 PM

I was under the impression that only the Mbox PRO could handle 96K

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-10-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Have you tried creating a new session and importing session data?
no i did not even think of that....

how ever.. i dont get the option to create a 96khz session.. so will that not affect what i can import into the session ?
Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 AM

Let's recap here.
#1-Always set Windows to NOT use the Mbox as its default audio device(otherwise Windows will "take over" the Mbox and not allow other sample rates). There are several options for getting computer audio to come out of your speakers
#2-you can create a blank session at 48K and import session data, and if you check the checkbox for SRC, the entire original session can be brought into this new session and converted(example, I had a client bring a project that was recorded at 96K at another studio. My rig at the time was not very powerful and while the 96K sessions would run, they brought that computer to its knees. The solution was to create 48K sessions, import Session Data from the originals and convert. The new 48K versions ran great and I was able to deliver for the client. Remember that 96K doesn't make a project great. Its a great performance of a great song that makes a project great

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-12-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I was under the impression that only the Mbox PRO could handle 96K

Nope. The standard Mbox3 does 96K too. Or at least is supposed to. Perhaps the OP should update the driver. It may be that he's not using the AAE driver but the aggregate or something else.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control