Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2021, 05:16 AM

Default Re: mono -> stereo. How to do it in PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghor View Post
Hi,

Thank You all of you for your great answers! I will try the drag and drop.

An other question: When you have a mono lead vocal track - do you send it to a mono or stereo buss?

Depends what you’re trying to achieve.

Typically, I have a stereo vocal buss that ALL vocals are sent to. So the lead vocal may be mono, but it’s routed to a stereo aux because I’m also sending backing vocals which are panned in the stereo field and I typically want some compression on the entire stack as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 05:17 AM

Default Re: mono track to a mono or stereo buss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghor View Post
Hi,

I just asked an entirely different question yesterday. I want to ask an other question:

When you have a mono lead vocal track - do you send it to a mono or stereo buss?

Thank You again for your replies!

I replied to your other thread.

No real need to have two threads for the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 06:36 AM

Default Re: mono track to a mono or stereo buss?

If you're talking about routing busses to fx, then you can use either really. I tend to use stereo nowadays but when I had more limited firepower I used to use mono busses and then use a "mono->stereo" plug-in for reverbs etc. Some older/cheaper reverbs tend to sum the stereo signal together before applying the effect (in which case there's not much point using a stereo bus), but a lot nowadays actually make use of the stereo input, thank goodness.

But you can also route the vocal to a bus for processing, e.g. I tend to like to keep the Melodyne on the audio track, and then use a bus to monitor the vocal and apply processing etc on the bus channel, which also means you can duplicate the bus and apply different effects at different points of the song for instance. Logic dictates that a mono signal would only really require a mono bus in this case (as you can still instantiate a mono-stereo plug-in if necessary). If you're using a bus to e.g. sum backing vocals together then it makes sense to use a stereo bus.

I tend to think of busses used for fx as "auxes" like they used to be called on real boards, but that's because I'm a billion years old.

Apologies if this is teaching grandmother to suck eggs.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
Thanks, but I just process all the stereo tracks with the "S1 imager" with one channel out of phase. Anything that comes back blank I then label with a small "m" in the comments, then undo the processing, then split the "m" labelled tracks and bin the stereo and left channel. Once you've got the process down it takes no more than about 5 minutes. Hopefully I've just saved at least one person $49.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Thanks, but I just process all the stereo tracks with the "S1 imager" with one channel out of phase. Anything that comes back blank I then label with a small "m" in the comments, then undo the processing, then split the "m" labelled tracks and bin the stereo and left channel. Once you've got the process down it takes no more than about 5 minutes. Hopefully I've just saved at least one person $49.
I use the free Panipulator plugin for this. I allows you to fold to mono and flip one side out of polarity. I throw that on my master and then audition each file, anything that is silent is true dual mono and gets split to mono and one side binned. Then I just inactivate panipulator.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I use the free Panipulator plugin for this. I allows you to fold to mono and flip one side out of polarity. I throw that on my master and then audition each file, anything that is silent is true dual mono and gets split to mono and one side binned. Then I just inactivate panipulator.
Yeah same sort of idea. I used to audition it "live" but I got caught out a couple of times where one track would be "basically mono" but then will go stereo halfway through or something (usually some sort of bouncing or user error by whoever sent the files), which is why I switched to "seeing" it rather than "hearing" it. If you see what I mean.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Yeah same sort of idea. I used to audition it "live" but I got caught out a couple of times where one track would be "basically mono" but then will go stereo halfway through or something (usually some sort of bouncing or user error by whoever sent the files), which is why I switched to "seeing" it rather than "hearing" it. If you see what I mean.
Makes total sense. I am usually using the Panipulator plugin when doing through dialog tracks in OMF/AAFs, since I pretty much never get the correct metadata coming through for short form work.

That's why it's great that there are multiple ways to achieve the same result; everybody has different needs and workflows.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:06 PM

Another option would be to solo the mono and bounce offline.
You can re-import at the end to a new track.

You used be be able to do Export Selected .( Cmd + Shift + K ) but
that's been retired I think.

Do you want it to sound like a stereo track? Because there are several techniques to turn a mono track into a stereo track (comb filtering, spatial processing, etc.).