Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Problem with Avid Installations (Windows Installer Pop Up)

Hi! Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before, I've googled this issue multiple times and made a quick search on here yet found little to nothing so figured I'd make a new thread.

I'm running a Sony Vaio Laptop, Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5, 8gb RAM.

I recently set my old laptop back up and reinstalled Windows on it. I then went about reinstalling some programs that I had already had on it a few years ago. Long story short, Avid products (Pro Tools 10, Avid Virtual Instruments) have been the only ones to have the issue I'm about to present. Anything else I've installed worked fine.

The problem:
In the downloader folder, I click on the Avid setup file and the Installshield Wizard begins to configure Windows Installer. After a few seconds, it closes and a window pops up displaying the Windows Installer Command Line Syntax. The only option is to click "Okay" and after doing so, the window closes and the installation has stopped.

Somehow I managed to get Pro Tools 10 installed. I made a search on my laptop and ended up finding a random separate installer file that I for some reason hadn't seen in the actual downloader file (kind of odd). The Avid Installation with menus and stuff would fail but this other file I found was successful. However, I have not had the same luck with downloading Avid Virtual Instruments. I'd really like to get it installed so hopefully someone has been through this before and knows a simple fix.

Thanks for your time!
Old 01-17-2018, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Problem with Avid Installations (Windows Installer Pop Up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSavage View Post
.... I have not had the same luck with downloading Avid Virtual Instruments. I'd really like to get it installed so hopefully someone has been through this before and knows a simple fix ....
Welcome to the DUC!
It’s easiest to download from your Avid account:
Click on the drop-down arrow on the RHS of the purple banner for your Product, where you can download:
Pro Tools 10.3.10 Installer (Win) 1.77 GB
and
Avid Virtual Instruments 10.0 Installer (Win) 2.53 GB

Quote:
I'm running a Sony Vaio Laptop, Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5, 8gb RAM.
Pro Tools 10 System Requirements
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en419171
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-17-2018, 03:54 PM

With all Windows setups, ALWAYS open the Pro Tools folder, find the Setup icon and right-click>Run as Administrator

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-17-2018, 04:04 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
However, I have already downloaded the folders from Avid. Those are the folders I'm referring to, in which I am clicking on their installation files.

And thanks for pointing out the Pro Tools specifications, but I am aware of them. I have had both Pro Tools 10 as well as Avid Virtual Instruments working on this system before. Shoot, as I stated, I have Pro Tools 10 working now. Virtual Instruments is the one that remains uninstalled, though it is facing the exact problem PT 10 was, before I randomly got it to work. So it's not a system compatibility issue, but thanks for trying! I wouldn't necessarily say either that it's an overall corruption in Windows operations, as everything else is downloading fine. The problem seems to lie exclusively in the installation of Avid products I have downloaded.

And yes, I've run it as administrator several times to see if that changed anything. Thanks for the tip though!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I have had both Pro Tools 10 as well as Avid Virtual Instruments working on this system before.
Do a Windows Search to try and establish if there's anything left from your initial Avid Virtual Instrument installation. Delete "left-overs", if found. Run CCleaner + CCleaner Registry (save the Backup offered).

(another thought - yes - a longshot!) - it could be a corrupt download (they do happen) - I'd suggest downloading Avid Virtual Instruments 10.0 again and retry installing - open the Pro Tools folder, find the Setup icon and right-click>Run as Administrator ....
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:42 PM

A Windows search showed no fragments of old programs. (It's a new hard drive and re-installation of Windows so I didn't think I'd see any.)

And a re-download of the Avid folders yielded no results.

Thanks for the tips though!

Last edited by cSavage; 01-17-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:03 PM

Sorry if you already know this, but....PT10 is the last version to work with RTAS and works with AAX32 bit only(so if you try to install another plugin format, like AAX64, AU or VST, they won't work)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2018, 01:49 PM

Yeah, it should work though. These are the same exact installation links I downloaded when I first purchased them in 2012 and they had both installed fine on this laptop back then.

Again, thanks for any tips and suggestions though guys. I'd love to get this fixed so any input is welcome.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
In the downloader folder, I click on the Avid setup file and the Installshield Wizard begins to configure Windows Installer. After a few seconds, it closes and a window pops up displaying the Windows Installer Command Line Syntax. The only option is to click "Okay" and after doing so, the window closes and the installation has stopped.

Somehow I managed to get Pro Tools 10 installed. I made a search on my laptop and ended up finding a random separate installer file that I for some reason hadn't seen in the actual downloader file (kind of odd).
I'll just add a comment in case it helps someone else: I had the same problem as OP, where the setup.exe installer closes and the Command Line Syntax window pops up, leading nowhere. I was trying to find the separate installer thing that OP mentioned. Turns out it's a "hidden" file called Avid Pro Tools First.msi - find it by enabling "Hidden items" in the File Explorer View panel. (It's in the top-level folder, next to setup.exe)

I think I remember I was still having troubles, so I installed some of the components manually: inside the (hidden) folder ISSetupPrerequisites there's a folder each for Avid Effects, AvidLink, etc. So I think I ran the .exe that was in those.

I eventually got a demo of Pro Tools 2020.9 running. I still had problems with the install: I had to run Pro Tools as administrator, and I couldn't get any sound coming through my audio interface. But it was enough that I could extract the stems from my old project and import them into my other DAW, which was the only reason I installed Pro Tools this time.

Anyway, maybe these details will help connect the dots for the next person trying to work through this issue.
-------------------------------------
Dell XPS15, Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i7-8750H 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Zoom R16 USB interface.
[PS: I also have this issue where I uninstalled MaxxAudioPro, which came pre-installed on my machine. Maybe that interfered with my Pro Tools installation. It has interfered with other installations in the past (HitFilm Express & Cyberlink Media Suite) — the way around that was to install these programs on a separate user account on my laptop.]
Old 06-22-2021, 05:26 PM

I have windows 10 and pro tools 2021.3. When I try to download the virtual Instruments like Xpand, it doesn't download. The falcon Plugins appear to have downloaded but not the Air bundle. This is my first go round on a forum like this so sorry if I'm in the wrong place for this question but any help would be appreciated.