Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-18-2019, 06:14 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post

As a "Vanilla Subscriptioner" since day one
So the price increase does not affect you.
Great, so why are you meddling in this??? You are all over the net???
Old 06-18-2019, 06:25 PM

Just barely getting over the twisted gut feeling I got from the 2019.5 update(no features) and now this. I feel really bad for long time users who are stuck having to use Pro Tools. I will only keep PT for when I need to use it.

Even though I have PT Ultimate, I will not be renewing and stay on the last current update my license covers. I believe that Ultimate users will also suffer from a price increase in the near future.
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 06-18-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
And it appears from your "sig" you haven't taken advantage of any PT update since 18.7 so why are you even bothering with paying for support right now?
I have edited my sig just for you! Turns out a lot of us don't bother with keeping it up.

Since you seem so concerned i will mention that I pay for the support plan for two reasons: i want to have the best version available to me and i get the use of all the avid plugins. Tha'ts ~ $50 a year for updates and 50 for plug in rental. I consider that fair value.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You do realize that even at $199 your COST PER DAY to use Pro Tools is LESS THAN $.55? That's 55 CENTS. Think about that. Seriously.
Great if you get paid for using it. But how about us hobbyists who don't make any money on it. And have been using it since version 6 LE? And frankly don't use it every day?

This is seriously pushing my limits to keep using it. Okay, I have a perpetual license and I'm on Windows, so it may last for a while if I do nothing. It works for what I need now. I may buy another 2 years now and then quit updating. I have other DAWs, this is just my favorite, especially for recording audio.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 PM

Default How will pricing change for academic and nonprofit institutions?

I consult for several educational and nonprofit institutions and we would like to request clarity about how the pricing changes going into effect in July 2019 will affect renewals of perpetual licenses for nonprofit/academic institutions, as well as any changes in subscription pricing for them.

Sincere thanks.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Did you pay for three annual subscriptions every year for only one year of benefit?
Are people incapable of math here?
Nope we have three Xbox’s that have three seperate Xbox Live accounts.... $240 per yr.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-18-2019, 08:54 PM

The curious thing about this shift toward subscription based models is how every company that tries it attempts to sell the idea as being something you asked for, or what the majority of people want, or how it's somehow in the user's best interest because they're 'interested in more flexible and affordable payment options and only paying for those features, functions or services they need to access.' (which might be true, actually, if that were even remotely what we were being offered...)

Adobe got away with it because of some extremely fortuitous timing (Apple royalty messed up the release of FCPX, Avid still being a walled garden, no real competition for Photoshop at the time...)

Perhaps it's the late hour here, but I can't think of one, single other DAW that operates on a subscription based model. So when Avid refers to a shift in the 'technology industry', as justification for their actions, it's not the direct competitors to Pro Tools that they're speaking of... not Logic, Studio One, Live, Reaper, Nuendo, etc.

Think about what that means... The PT users most likely to see their needs met in the future are not the ones chopping up drums loops in the spare bedroom, or the indie band recording their first album all on their own.

... and that's kind of scary, because I was one of those guys. I mean, sure - now I can comfortably write off whatever ridiculous amount I have to spend to have access to the stuff I need to work, but in a certain sense, I'll always be that 23yr old kid who bought a Digi001 and thought the whole world had just opened up to him.

Avid want to be Adobe 2.0 and they clearly see themselves as being poised to do so. Whether they're right about that, or not, remains to be seen.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 06-18-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
The curious thing about this shift toward subscription based models is how every company that tries it attempts to sell the idea as being something you asked for, or what the majority of people want, or how it's somehow in the user's best interest because they're 'interested in more flexible and affordable payment options and only paying for those features, functions or services they need to access.' (which might be true, actually, if that were even remotely what we were being offered...)
Ummmmm haven’t you seen all those threads yearning for such a change? The site has been over run with them..... funny I can’t seem to find one at the moment but....but....
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 PM

I’ve been taking a good look a Studio One for the past few hours. Looks nice I’ll have to keep researching it. $399 gets you the goods huh. Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-18-2019, 11:14 PM

That is the last straw.
Moving to pro logic full time, and letting pro tools expire.
Last upgrade was no upgrade at all.
Pathetic.
I am out!