Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2016, 03:11 PM

Default Re: HDX cards REALLY noisy?

No same experience here as Dwayne. Going down to 2 Drives helped for a while but when I started to increase the DSP plug ins (Softube Tubetech channel strips) it took only a few minutes to trigger the jet taking off sound.

I'm really at a loss here. The Avid guy says it's not from a dodgy batch and that it sounds like a hardware fault to him - but it seems a few of us are experiencing the same problem. Plus I only get it on the older HDX card.

Apologies for not joining the other thread on the subject.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:01 PM

Sorry to link to another forum but I couldn't post an audio example here of the stupidly noisy HDX fan. I managed to get my other one going eventually with a HUGE track count and stacks of plugs and it sounds nothing like this one.

I also tried removing all but 1 HDD and it only prolonged the pain for a few more minutes. Computer temp is reading about 45 degrees when it kicks off.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/avid...l#post11653328
Old 01-25-2016, 09:49 PM

Paul,

Do you get this noise from the "faulty" HDX card when used as a single card system? I haven't tried isolating either of my cards, so I'm not sure if one is the culprit over the other. I only know that the fans got worse after adding a second card. And I have heard this story from a number of other editors in my field.

And as for the hard drive count... no dice there either. I tried paring it down to 2 drives and it made little difference... maybe a few minutes offset in the commencement of the fan brigade.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:53 PM

Holy dear LORD I just listened to the mp3 you posted on Gearslutz. That is WAY WAY worse than the noise from my machine. Mine sounds like a turbine engine, but yours has that metallic rumble that makes it quite unbearable! For the amount of money we pay for these cards, Avid should do right by you on this one. That is just totally unacceptable!