Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2003, 10:17 AM

Default What is happening with DR008?

I ordered the DR008 about a month ago from the www.fxpansion.com website .. now I see people talking here on the forum on "how to install the DR008". My first question would then be:"how to install WHAT DR008??" .. I haven't heard anything about DR008 RTAS being released yet! That is also quite strange, because they promised the release within "a couple of weeks" (the deadline has passed!).
I'm a very disappointed FX-pansion customer.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Re: What is happening with DR008?

I read the thread on the DR008 and it
looked like they where running a Beta version.
They were having a lot of problems with it.
I could not figure out where they got the BETA version from but there was probably a beta test
going on that only a few were privy to.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:59 AM

Hello Barhab,
It was an early release of 008 that we received, for testing. Haven't heard from Angus (at least I haven't), and I imagine they are working on fixing the problems with PT use. He is listed on the FX website and usually responds in a timely fashion....
Old 03-26-2003, 01:21 PM

Yo Barhab, we all got an email which stated

Quote:
We are now at Release Candidate 1, meaning that DR-008 for RTAS should be 100% stable and feature complete - however, it has not yet been signed off as such.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We also recieved a link to the 008. This version worked on only one out of four systems and the one who got it working didn't know how to use it so I'm not laying to much weight to his claims just yet.

I'm personally waiting for another candidate but it seems odd that you did not receive this notification. I would definitely let Angus know.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1Nation:
This version worked on only one out of four systems and the one who got it working didn't know how to use it so I'm not laying to much weight to his claims just yet. [/QUOTE

Hmmmm....good advice. I'm the one who didn't know how to use it and yes you should not trust me. I know on my posting I said I had it loaded and was able to listen to different drum kits. I spent my time downloading different kits and listening to the sounds by tapping on the visual pads. Nobody else explained how to use it so I left it until a few days ago.

I opened a new audio track and opening the DR-008 as a plugin on the track. I then opened another track and set the bus to pick up from the first audio track. It recorded successfully. Later I tried the same thing and tried to save and got an error. I was unable to shut down LE. After killing the process I was unable to open LE (access violation). I rebooted and was able to open LE and the session had been saved. I was able to run the session. I tried to save the session again and got the error " The instruction at blah blah referenced memory at blah blah. The memory could not be written". After clicking the ok button, LE shut down. LE would open session and the changes were saved. I added a new audio track to the session and saved the session. No error message. Closed the session and got the error message "Could not complete the quit command because: Access violation occurred".

I'm not sure I'm using the program correctly. I was picking up the audio for the tracks by setting the bus on the recording tracks. I'm not sure how the rest of you tried.

After receiving this message I emailed Angus and told him I was having problems and would be happy to share details with him. He hasn't got back to me yet. I'm eagerly awaiting this software so I can use Basstard's drum kit!

Angus, what is happening?

By the way I'm using XP Pro.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 03-26-2003, 06:47 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Keith. I had a feeling that you would run into problems with this thing. So far we're 0 for 4... No good.

I don't think that Angus beta tested this software... Or at least not enough. Personally, given the time frame he mentioned last month I thought that I was buying the real version at the time of my purchase. It wasn't until after the credit card was charged that I got the notice that I was a paying beta tester.

Silence in this very awkward situation is not acceptable. I have two proposed solutions:

1. Issue an immediate refund to all of the customers who have purchased this "Plug-bomb"

2. Enlist the help of a power beta team including Da Bastard, Swaphappy, Allen, and Phil. These people are very knowledgable and influential members of the DUC. They'll have the FXpansion suite functional in no time. Plus, I know these cats... They'll probably do it for the free software and the chance to help their fellow DUC'ers. Am I right guys?
Old 03-26-2003, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1Nation:
They'll probably do it for the free software and the chance to help their fellow DUC'ers. Am I right guys?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">my usual beta testing fees are $250/hour. i've decided to waive the fee in this case because you asked nicely. i'll do it for the free software... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

i'm really shocked that it doesn't work for everyone right "out of the box". it works great in sonar.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:16 AM

If you went ahead and bought it when they offered it for pre-sales, you got a version of it that was sapposed to have all of the bugs fixed on this, but as we soon found out, it sucked and didn't seem to run for anyone. well me and esteban at least. Now we are just sitting around hoping they get a real release going of a fixed version so our money wasn't a complete waste of time and money.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:52 AM
FXpansion Audio

Guys,

We made it clear on the site that the DR-008 RTAS version was available in pre-order, and that having pre-ordered you could get access to the BETA version on request.

We expected the current beta to be very stable, unfortunately it has not been and we are working on another beta to fix this.

The situation with pre-orders is normally that you don't receive the software straightaway - hence the "pre" - indeed, we don't give guarantees on the ship date. However in this case we've been allowing people to "queue-jump" and get on the beta programme - with somewhat mixed results, as you're all aware.

There will be a new beta as soon as we have one available - I don't have a date on this but it shouldn't be more than a week.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:04 AM

Thank you Angus,
I am happy to help you guys out with what ever I can help with. I understand that this is still a beta however just straight out not getting a reply to e-mails and posts on your website just sucks. If you don't know the answer just tell us that you are working on it. Thats all I really want. Just as long as I know that I will get a working version sometime is enough to make me wait it out. Thanks for the update, I look forward to your next beta release.