Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2003, 10:05 AM

Default compression question

I searched the archive for info on how to handle vocal compression with the 001, but I get conflicting results. The question is this:

Do I need an outboard compressor in order to avoid clipping when recording vocals, or can I use the plug-in while recording? Does the plug-in work on the way in, or only after the fact?

In my search, I found these responses, but which is correct, 1 or 2?
1. Aux track - (plugin or hardware insert) you compress the signal after A/D but before recording your Wave-file.
2. Plug in wont effect the signal. (once you take the plug off if you peaked it will still be there)

Thanks
Old 04-11-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: compression question

Knucklehead,

Both are true.
If you record directly to an audio track that has a comp. on it, you will be monitoring the compressed signal but recording without compression.

If you route your mic to an aux track that has a compressor on it and then route the output of the aux to an audio track, the audio track will record the compressed signal.

Hope this helps,
Marc
Old 04-11-2003, 10:17 AM

compressors are not used on aux sends, you would want it to be inserted in the channel.
If a plug in compressor is inserted during recording the sound to "tape" will be the copressed signal.
If you record an unprocessed signal and then insert a copressor- you have the option of taking that compressor off.
Most of the time you would want to compress to tape though (i come from the woderful world of tape though, where you want to hit the tape with as much signal as possible)
Old 04-11-2003, 10:19 AM

If you want the compression to be recorded (on tape....well, disk), use an AUX track as your input. Put the compressor on the aux track. Bus the output of the AUX track to bus 1 (or any bus). Create an Audio track with BUS 1 as the input. IF you DON'T want to record the compressor, just hear it, only create an Audio track and insert the compressor. It (the compressor) won't record. Only the audio will record. Hope this helps, Jason
Old 04-11-2003, 11:11 AM

Got it

Thank you much.