Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Default Eleven Rack's Reamping Concerns

This morning I messed around with reamping a direct guitar clip two ways. I reamped it to a new track with 1 metal type preset, and then again to a different track with a slightly different metal preset.

Upon playback, it was obvious there was a problem. It sounds like the two tracks are almost fighting with which wants to be heard. I keep hearing the track with the boosted mids exchanging the spotlight with the other track which has its mid's scooped out. I messed with the levels like crazy, and nothing would fix the problem.

I recorded again, actually playing the track over, instead of reamping and that fixed the problem. Anyone have any solutions to this, or do I have to keep replaying each time?

(I am REALLY having problems getting that full heavy metal guitar sound, and that is why I was attempting the use of two different similar presets like this.)
Old 12-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Avid

Default Re: Eleven Rack's Reamping Concerns

It may be a phase issue between the two sides with different tones. This is common in the real world, too. Try nudging one side by a millisecond (or more, or less, as needed) and see if that helps.

The 'thick' sound is always better achieved by actually playing the part twice, but offsetting one track like I mentioned above may help.
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Avid

Default Re: Eleven Rack's Reamping Concerns

Also, some amps (and the corresponding models) have different phase due to the number of tube stages (most stages invert). I'd try flipping the phase of one of the tracks (using the Trim plug-in).