Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Quicktime: there\'s an alternative?

Hy guys,
PT needs Quicktime, ok, bt why? i mean, seing that QT is a pain in the ass (at least in XP) and is kind of a heavy and intrusive program, there is an alternative to QT?? If it's a matter of codecs, couldn't we just innstall the right one? or even a pack or whatever, but no QT??
Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Quicktime: there\'s an alternative?

I'm not sure why you feel QT is such a pain? I never use it except to veiw the rare peice of QT video. Other than that It stays hidden and unobtrusive. You definetaly need to install QT for PT to work correctly. There is no real option there that I'm aware of. Just install it and set it up to only play the Codecs that are not handled by Windows Media Player or whatever player your using. deselect check for updates automaticaly and you should never see it rare its ugly head

Not having QT will cause WAY more problems then having it.

Be thankfull there isn't some PT/Adobe dependancy

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Be thankfull there isn't some PT/Adobe dependancy
Right

Oh well, in my old system, no matter what, QT was always there in background, everytime you checked the processes in the task manager it was always there, you turned it off and it came back again.. So it's kind of ingrained in me now, i hate it.. But if there's no alternative i guess we have no choice.
Thanks anyway!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:57 AM

I think you only need quick time to edit the sound on a QT movie file, so if your not doing this, it shouldnt be nessasary!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:08 AM

Quicktime is necessary for Pro Tools functionality, and not just video functionality. For some reason, Pro Tools needs Quicktime for all sorts of things not related to video, most importantly, saving preferences.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 AM

Well, at this point I got the point, we need to install it; but just for curiosity, why?? Anybody knows what "reason" is? Is it something that just programmers know?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:01 AM

Open your System Configuration Utility
( Start + R type msconfig ).
Go to the Startup tab and uncheck qttask.
Click "apply", "OK", and reboot your system.

This will prevent Quicktime from running in the background on startup.
Now Quicktime will only run when it's needed by a program... such as Pro Tools.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Well, at this point I got the point, we need to install it; but just for curiosity, why?? Anybody knows what "reason" is? Is it something that just programmers know?
Yeah, I just gave you the only reason why that we as users would/could know; Pro Tools needs it. As to why they chose to integrate it the way that they did would be something only the designers/programmers would know.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 AM

Right, thanks i did it. I just have to check if it'll close when i close PT probably I'll have to close it manually in the task manager.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I think you only need quick time to edit the sound on a QT movie file, so if your not doing this, it shouldnt be nessasary!
Actually this is WAY wrong PT uses bits and peices of the QT frameworks or components as dependancies for parts of its code. These are presumably left over from when they ported Protools over from a MAC only program. PT NEEDS QT to function properly.

Shane can tell you about some of the truly bizarre stuff that happens if its not installed. Presets not saved and many other things. MATTP posted about the actusl problems about not having QT time installed.

JMS40 is correct about running MSConfig and disabling QT. It will often show back up after a QT update and need to be disabled again.

There IS a "QT" components framework type of download for sourceforge. I have always used QT itself figuring that keeping PT happy is more than enough work without throwing some 3rd party patch into the equation.

Short version you need QT, use MSconfig to stop it from starting, turn off the automatic update function, uncheck the option to show the icon in the system tray and your done.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88