Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 07:52 AM

Default \"Last Chance\" upgrade

An open letter to Digidesign:

Dear Digi,
Hope all is well with you. Business is good here, and we’re just about to finally install our HD upgrades (w/Mojo).

Today I got an HD upgrade promotion in the mail. From what I can tell, this is the same package offered as a “last chance” with a deadline of 6/30/04. I upgraded back then (even though I wasn’t ready) because this was supposedly the “last chance”. Then another promotion came out in the fall with a “deadline” of 12-20-04. (Read items in “quotes” with maximum sarcastic tone for the full effect).

At this point I was mildly peeved at having struggled to scrape together the 20 grand last June when I could have waited till December. But this last one with a “deadline” of March 20, 2005 really ticked me off. So now, not only was I a fool to believe that last June was the real “deadline”, if I waited I would have actually received a better plug-in bonus package. Yessirree (I’m getting into it now), call Digi’s bluff and you will be rewarded with MORE stuff – in this case Smack!, BF Pultec EQ, and ReVibe!

OK – deep breath…..

On one hand, I appreciate it that Digi seems to have shown a bit more flexibility in handling upgrades. But this clearly sends the wrong message. Can we count on at least 3 “last chances” with future upgrade offers? Will hold-outs be rewarded with bigger and better bonus packages? I think you get my drift.

I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to Digi sending me Smack!, Pultec, and ReVibe – plus the fabulous new De-Suck plug-in (which I plan to use on every track) – all in a gift wrapped box with a handwritten note from the president thanking me for being an early upgrader.

I’m off my soap box now – have a great day!

Signed,
Foolish Early Upgrader
Old 03-01-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: \"Last Chance\" upgrade

Quote:
I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to Digi sending me Smack!, Pultec, and ReVibe – plus the fabulous new De-Suck plug-in (which I plan to use on every track) – all in a gift wrapped box with a handwritten note from the president thanking me for being an early upgrader.

Really, am I going to get these too??? I upgraded early thinking it was the "Last Chance"
Wow, I cant believe they will reward the early upgraders, thats so great of Digidesign........... end of sarcasm
Old 03-01-2005, 08:11 AM

First round Accel upgrade from d24.
First round MP 3 insanity.

Sincerely,

Gullible GearSlut
Old 03-01-2005, 08:17 AM

Digi can be reasonable -if- you pressure them. I have had a few dealings like this (not as serious, though). It makes me wonder if somehow the head is not quite connected with the (bleep) of the business. Shouldn't everyone have the same opportunity? Shouldn't we receive notification when we are entitled to something? Or are they just to busy counting their doe to send out a few emails telling people they just received a major bonus for their dedication? If it were my company, loyal customers would definitely receive the equivalent of the current product set as marketing decisions are made.

btw... De-Suck?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:39 AM

thats bum ass ...i hope they send all the guys who stuggled to get the money in the begining the plug in pack ..it only seems fair
Old 03-01-2005, 08:56 AM

the day you can buy pro tools products at wal-mart is the day you can save your receipt and bring it in to redeem the latest sales offer...

until then all of us "pro"-tools users can bath in the warmth of knowing that we have supported and continue to support (now to the tune of $20,000/average upgrade) one of the most insidious commercial tyranies in the history of occupational products..."well, you've just GOT to have pro tools, it's the standard!"...rubbish...it's over priced and counter-intuitive at it's best...

you want some power in this equation?...swallow your pride...and after you've given the $20,000 receipt to your accountant, there are two buttons you can click that every digidesign manager/exec prays that you'll never pay any attention to... 'enforce pc/mac compatibility' ... and 'broadcast wave' ....these two options level the playing field for all engineers using other platforms in earnest to deliver respectable products of recorded media...

most "pro"-tools owners avoid those buttons like the plague with arrogance and disdain...this only perpetuates the cult mentality that apple and avid have nurtured over the past quarter century...in a cult, the follower defends the leader unequivocably...the leader is never wrong no matter how objective and clearly presented the evidence against them...

detroitkruk
Old 03-01-2005, 09:27 AM

But we early adaptors have the joy of having it all first & getting the "Early Adaptors" signed certificate.

Does that not make up for the missed Plug-ins ?

No I thought not

Digi you know who we are !!

regards
Scotsmans
Old 03-01-2005, 10:52 AM

Yeah, i am holding out untill I can get some trade in value on 5 dsp farms, a mix i/o card, and the d24 as a package.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:19 PM

Companies that manage their products and affairs, in order to take financial advantage of existing customers do not build goodwill and loyalty. At some point companies that take this tact pay the ultimate price. It happens shortly after there is a truly viable competitor that understands how important it is to coddle the early adopters.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:40 PM

Totally agree with you, Howardk - see my thread re Sony Oxford and what I consider to be a lack of respect for their existing customers.