Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 01:45 AM

Default alternative to bounce to disk

if i wanted a more decent dithering should i send my signal out a master fader, via lightpipe or spdif, to an external cd burner?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: alternative to bounce to disk

The way it was explained to me, yes, you should set up a master fader when you are going to bounce. All of your
tracks will be routed through it by default. I set up a stereo master fader, command-shift-n for new track, choose
stereo and master fader.

Then, as in insert on the master , choose stereo POW-r dither 16-bit, either noise-shaping 1, 2 or 3. Don't ask me what the difference is
in 1., 2, or 3 -- and if anybody out there knows, please join in. Does it have something to do with how the added
dithering noise gets allocated, in various frequency ranges??? Your ear is probably your guide here. 1, 2, and 3 may
sound slightly better or worse on various kinds of music, classical, rock, jazz. I am guessing you have to have Bob
Katz's ears to hear the difference.

then you bounce to disk just like you would regularly, to CD with 16-bit, 44.1 aiff. The dither is supposed to do its
thing then.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:25 PM

Quote:
if i wanted a more decent dithering should i send my signal out a master fader, via lightpipe or spdif, to an external cd burner?
You can record your session to an audio track and then export the stereo pair from your Audio Region window. You will be able to export the audio in any of the ussual audio formats.

Alternatively, you can record to something like a Masterlink, ADAT device, etc. In any case, dither the final mix from protools. If you have Waves L1, L2 or L3, I would recommend those over the audiosuite ditherers. If the external recording device has good quality dither capability, by all means, bounce at 24bit.

IMHO
Old 11-14-2004, 10:31 AM

Create a master fader, insert POW-R as the last plugin. Listen to each of the noise-shaping methods (1,2,3); see if you hear a beneficial difference. Bounce to disc; set your file format to 16 bits, end of story.

There is NO better dither alrogithm than POW-R in my opinion; there are some that are equally as good on certain sources, but none better.

D