Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 04:59 AM

Default Problem met on a studio session ...

Hi everyone,
i have made a record session on a studio equiped with a Protools system. The soft version was TDM 6.9. The converters were a digital 192 and an Apogee AD8000, the rig was clocked on the Apogee. The problem met was that i had late to start the record, maybe 5 second but any late on the playback. I have changed several times the disk allocation to try on different hard disk .....nothing changes. The playback preference was 128 samples, 80 %, 1 dsp with 48 voices, DAE level 2. No pre roll to the record, no sync, ........ It's the first time i meet this problem. I think that there is a easy answer but i can't find it !
I need some advices.
Regards,
Julien.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Problem met on a studio session ...

i "think" i know what is happening

possibly 2 things

in your prefs are you in open ended "unlimited record"
try changing that to 7 minutes ....about as long as any song would EVER dream of going
unless you need a longer record time.......use some reasonable defined number rather than infinite record

or try this

is the 2 bar countoff function invoked in the midi section of the transport which you may even have hidden in the pull down menu transport option prefs

these things usually fix your problem for me if i understand what you are saying here
a common snafu

the other one that gets me is when a session comes in with the names not on the files in the edit window....every time digi changes software a lot of the pull downs change and the learning curve becomes apparant....after a while we get used to the new ways and we find that DIGI tried to continue to make it eronomically correct and more user friendly which should always be the goal....right?

merry christmas

now you have more room at the inn for your Christ child to light up your world.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:35 AM

Thank you for the answer.
The midi countoff can't be the solution because it affects both playback and record.
It can be the "unlimited record" on preference, but i am not very sure ....
Is there anyone who knows something else ?
Regards.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:37 AM

you MUST try changing that umlimited choice and report back to la familia

Old 12-23-2006, 08:52 AM

Countoff can be enabled for both playback and record. Check your click/countoff settings (double-click the metronome button in the transport).
Old 12-23-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Countoff can be enabled for both playback and record. Check your click/countoff settings (double-click the metronome button in the transport).
It's the solution .......great, thanks to the comunity.
I didn't know that we could insert a countoff just only on the record.
Always learning is the key !
Best regards.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:37 AM

Default Where is that setting?

Hi,

I hate to hijack the post like this, but this is directly related to my problem. Where exactly is the Disk Allocation in Pro Tools TDM 6.x? Give me a step by step if you could.

I'm not near the system, and I'm trying to tell someone else where to look for it and am having no luck. I'm not a Pro Tools guru, only a computer nut, so I've only seen it once and that was years ago.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Where is that setting?

I found it. Nevermind. It's called "Open Ended Record Allocation" in Pro Tools 6.x, which is why I couldn't tell my partner where to find it over the phone.