How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-29-2011, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 looks great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_ View Post
Soooooo, why the heck am I burning up so much time worrying about getting pt9 to install/run smoothly?.
Well it might have something to do with the fact that you are running a G5?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 01-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
I don't want to spark yet another 64bit debate (unless everyone wants to of course), but, and I've said this a few times here too;
Professional producers and engineers have been "stuck" in the 32bit world of music making for a long time now, and we've all enjoyed some great music as a result.
So I for one don't think the lack of 64bit is too big a deal.
With the amount of memory VI's like EWQL, Trilian, Omnisphere, Structure and Komplete 7 use, a lot of RAM is essential and therefore a big deal for some producers. Pro studios still use 32bit for compatibility reasons due to many plugin companies lagging behind, not because 32bit is preferred. For those in this situation, they are not going to take a risk moving to 64bit when so many of their plugs are not offered in that format. Yes, I can make music in 32bit just like I can go back and make music with a great band and a Fostex FD-4, but 64bit is highly preferred.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
With the amount of memory VI's like EWQL, Trilian, Omnisphere, Structure and Komplete 7 use, a lot of RAM is essential and therefore a big deal for some producers. Pro studios still use 32bit for compatibility reasons due to many plugin companies lagging behind, not because 32bit is preferred. For those in this situation, they are not going to take a risk moving to 64bit when so many of their plugs are not offered in that format. Yes, I can make music in 32bit just like I can go back and make music with a great band and a Fostex FD-4, but 64bit is highly preferred.
The VI's you've mentioned do of course benefit from a 64bit environment, but that's why we have apps like Vienna Ensemble etc to use as hosts for these VI's.
Doing things this way means Pro Tools doesn't need to be 64bit doesn't it?
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Looks good to me although I'm surprised to see improved RTAS VI performance isn't higher up the list.
I would put it at the top, along with broader system compatibility and x64 version. IMO, it's the biggest impediment for non-users. Perhaps if the "seriously-wishing-they-could-use-PT" crowd of non-users were included, it might rate higher.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
The VI's you've mentioned do of course benefit from a 64bit environment, but that's why we have apps like Vienna Ensemble etc to use as hosts for these VI's.
Doing things this way means Pro Tools doesn't need to be 64bit doesn't it?
Sure, we can throw it off on a 3rd party. I use Reaper rewire when using these plugs in PT, but that has nothing to do with having the option to do it all in PT w/o buying extra stuff.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Well it might have something to do with the fact that you are running a G5?
C'mon now, I'm not trying to make it work on my G5 hahaha!! My new iMac showed up yesterday. Wow, beautiful btw!! One of the fellas in my studio is a day or two from finishing a project on the G5/PTMP8 and I'm frothing at the mouth to go to PT9 on the new system. ADC and hopefully lower buffer rates are all I'm actually concerned with at this point. 128 is just not good enough and I'm sick of toggling mutes between the M-Audio mix panel and PT for low latency monitoring. I honestly don't think I'd switch to another platform for the simple reason that so many clients falsely assume they aren't in a professional environment if the studio isn't running protools. That said, it's nice to be involved with a large community such as this to help troubleshoot ect. Kinda the same reason I own NS-10's.... no, they don't sound good at all, but everyone knows them so we can all have a "zero" or a reference point for certain aspects of music production, and we can all relate to eachother. We could go on all day about stuff like this but I'm sure ya get it!

It's just so heartbreaking seeing a video like that wishing I could have that kinda access to RAM. I may end up going the Vienna route down the road but honestly, I barely use any plugs as it is so I will likely be happy for a while, and I don't use VI's but I need to be able to offer this to other guys who work outta my space.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
#1 1039 votes - Freeze track feature

#2 569 votes - Print to track option

#4 497 votes - Pro Tools 64-bit Application

Am I the only one who sees the dichotomy of the #1 feature request having nearly twice as many votes as the #2 feature?

Especially when it and the #2 option, which, while #1 and #2 are quite useful, would not positively impact as many users as would #4, converting PT to 64-bit.

Kinda makes you wonder if some "book cooking" might have gone on somewhere along the way...
A Freeze Track Feature is good for ONE thing only.

It will show you that DONT need it.

Logic has had it for YEARS... I know what it does and I know how to use it .... BUT I NEVER USE IT.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 PM

If Avid does add Freeze and Print, do it like Ableton not Logic. With Ableton Live after you freeze a track, two options are available on the track: unfreeze or flatten. Flatten turns the track into an audio track. Very easy and clean.

Busch.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 PM

I'm running Pro Tools 8LE now and I am considering a 'crossgrade' to PT9. There is no urgency about this. I wonder if I should just wait for version 10.

Thoughts?

thanks
Old 08-08-2011, 04:17 PM

"I don't want to spark yet another 64bit debate (unless everyone wants to of course), but, and I've said this a few times here too;
Professional producers and engineers have been "stuck" in the 32bit world of music making for a long time now, and we've all enjoyed some great music as a result.
So I for one don't think the lack of 64bit is too big a deal.

No offense but the DUC is littered with just that kind of rubbish.

Alot of good music was recorded with a jug band. I guess we should give up our instruments and make our own. Alot of good stuff was recorded on 4 track tape (Beatles) i guess we should say f the digital stuff. Man if any of you have ever heard the orig takes from the Beatles on 4 trk, it sounds like ass. Not the music the sound. Thank god, alah, jiminy cricket and the budwiser girls for mix engineers. I wonder if they had folks telling them why bother with 8 track plenty of good music was done on 4.

Man im so tired of that boring cliche, "Well alot of good music was done on 32 bit systems, so why use it, or want it now." Thats the singular most retarded, circular, Avid arse kissing reason in the history of mankind.

The pyramids were probably designed with writing sticks and an abacus. I guess we should just toss our calculators, PC's, and engineers slides in the garbage, who cares if we have the ability to ask a cell phone to give the dimensional loads of a spansion bridge, lets just count on our finger and hope its okay
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio