Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-04-2002, 06:32 AM

Default PT 6 SHOWN AT AES.WHAT ABOUT MBOX

info about pt 6 is at osxaudio.com
Is it true that all of our rtas plug-ins have to be updated.
Yet the tdm plug-ins don't have to get updated. i'm sure digi make most of their money from le users yet we dont the same treatment. also why can't the mbox get 32 tracks like digi 002 it can't be that hard for 8 more tracks i don't need 8 inputs and moving faders but i would love more track but i'm not paying 2000+ to get it [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] osxaudio
Old 10-04-2002, 09:40 AM

Default Re: PT 6 SHOWN AT AES.WHAT ABOUT MBOX

All plug-ins will need to be re-written to work under OS X. It will take a while, many manufacturer's haven't said anything yet, some are hoping to have all their plugs ready by the end of 2003.

I didn't see in the article on OSXAudio where TDM plugs do not need to be rewritten? They should also have to be rewritten, although if you think about it they all had to be rewritten to work with HD anyway, and people may have been thinking ahead and HD plugs may already be kosher with X.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:33 AM

This is a crucial opportunity for plugin developers to leap ahead of their competition. Little companies like Cycling74 or bigger ones like Logic have the opportunity of a lifetime to gain market share that bigger companies (Waves, NI, BombFactory) currently have.

If I were a small plugin software developer company, I would do all I could to make my stuff available ASAP to garner hearts and minds and marketshare of "early" adopters of OSX audio.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:10 AM

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but will PTLE 6 run in "classic" mode (OS9 emulation) on a machine running OSX and still use exisitng RTAS plugins? Obviously, that will be the major drawback for any PT user will a lot of RTAS plugins.

Why does it take so long for developers to rewrite their code? Hasn't an OSX software developer kit been made available to these people? Most of my graphics applications have been OSX native for 4 to 6 months, some even longer. And these are full blown applications. Seems that plugins would be much easier to rewrite, but I could be totally wrong. Maybe developers been waiting for Jaguar before doing any plugin rewrites.

I guess I'm tired of reading about OSX, and realizing that its still, after so much hoopla, a long way away from being a working option for me.

dave patterson / knobville
Old 10-05-2002, 10:02 AM

Well, being that PT 5.x.x will not run in classic mode, I highly doubt that PT6 would.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:14 AM

I think you do not need to worry:

Quote:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Digidesign-approved Pro Tools TDM (Pro Tools|HD, Pro Tools|24 MIX, Pro Tools|24) or LE (Digi 001 and ToolBox) system running Mac OS X ( support for Mbox and Digi 002 coming soon ).

Pro Tools on Windows XP support of the new features, and OSX compatibility with AVoption|XL, Unity, and MediaManager are scheduled for Q2, 2003.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is from the requirements for PT 6.

http://www.digidesign.com/news/hotnews/PTv6/

Bastiaan
Old 10-05-2002, 10:18 AM

So, I guess we can assume that Mbox support is coming in Q1 2003? I mean, the Windows XP support is stated to be out in Q2 2003, so I would assume that Mbox support, if "coming soon," would be before that....