How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2013, 01:58 PM

Default Brand new Profile

Hey guys,

I've always used profiles that were rented out, but I am about to get a brand new profile. Are there any little tips and tricks to set up the board straight out of the box? Like the PM5D, I tell people to set up all the channels pre on the aux's and then save an initial setup scene so that way you never get screwed by that pesky thing. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2013, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Brand new Profile

Not really, it just depends on your usage. If it's an install you can certainly build a few templates with your outputs configured, and if you don't have outboard drive you can set time alignment and eq in templates and also save them to preset folders. Also a few things in the options tab like RMS/Peak metering, although I use both for different things, but maybe the peak indicator thresholds and such...

At the end of the day it just largely depends on how it will be used in your space.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the input. I am forgetting this console is a lot more "friendly" then the 5D. Looking forward to getting it set up and hitting the road. I am currently loading my comp and usb with system restore and updates just in case.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:15 AM

As a Venue user you most likely will end up creating a bunch of different template show files for different situations based on if you do FOH or Monitors, if it's 2 or 3 DSP card system, or perhaps S3L desk. Me for example, I turn on EQ's, Comps and Gates, but move thresholds up or down so the dynamics won't kick in, but just dialing the threshold up (gate) or down (comp) makes them work in a second. Also I assign all the FX I love and have two versions, one that includes my favorite plugins that I have on my Ilok and the other one that uses only stock plugins for a desk that only comes with what was included from the factory. I even name the channels and shuffle them around as needed once I know what the band's input list will be in given situation. I sometimes even have plugins assigned, that I know and love and most likely will be using on that type of input. For me this speeds up the soundcheck times considerably.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristo Kotkas View Post
As a Venue user you most likely will end up creating a bunch of different template show files for different situations based on if you do FOH or Monitors, if it's 2 or 3 DSP card system, or perhaps S3L desk. Me for example, I turn on EQ's, Comps and Gates, but move thresholds up or down so the dynamics won't kick in, but just dialing the threshold up (gate) or down (comp) makes them work in a second. Also I assign all the FX I love and have two versions, one that includes my favorite plugins that I have on my Ilok and the other one that uses only stock plugins for a desk that only comes with what was included from the factory. I even name the channels and shuffle them around as needed once I know what the band's input list will be in given situation. I sometimes even have plugins assigned, that I know and love and most likely will be using on that type of input. For me this speeds up the soundcheck times considerably.

That's not a bad idea! The board will be used for monitors so this would be a cool trick to speed things up. Granted comps/fx's won't be used much/at all, gates will be.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 AM

When building a show file on a fresh console (usually the offline editor), I'll generally do the following:

Multi-select all input channels
-Engage EQ, engage aux sends (depending on application)

Rough-in HPF and input gains
Name outputs, set up matrix mixes for outputs, insert GEQs and PEQs where I need them

Set clip margins, peak holds and ballistics (I like 0dB on both margins, Peak ballistics and ~5 second CLIP holds. I've seen many engineers use something close to this. Clip margins are really only helpful when you have more PA than you need, but still want to run the board "hot".

I'll also set up my events for PTT talkback and tap tempo, as well as mute groups and VCA assignments.

Now obviously, it helps to know what you're getting into when you set up a show file in terms of inputs or band makeup, but a lot of this can still be done as a general template if you're working with the same system all the time (or even not, the "standard" outputs you'll run into are generally L, R, Sub, Front Fill, Delay L, Delay R).