Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 09:59 AM

Default effects and aux sends

just wondering what the preferred choice of routing is for adding effects to a track. i used to insert reverbs, comps, eqs etc on every track, but now im getting into sending numerous tracks to an aux track with an effect inserted on it (i hear that using the same reverb on multiple tracks can help "bring them together").

question is; does one hardwire the dry tracks to the aux track (i.e. select the aux track as the dry tracks' output) or simply choose the aux track as a send on the dry track? i imagine the second option may allow for greater control of dry/wet balance.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: effects and aux sends

you pretty much answered all of your own questions there, lol

But i use compressors on each individual track that is being compressed rather than bussing to aux tracks and compressing all of them at once.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:16 PM

Ditto. I use aux sends to aux tracks for all reverb and most delays. The delay exception is when I want to create a stereo widening effect on a mono track for a guitar part. That is the one time I will insert a mono in-stereo out delay plugin. Now a good use of setting an audio track output directly to an aux track would be for overall compression of a mix of several drum tracks or if you just had to have more than 5 plugins on a particular track(by routing it to an aux input, you could insert 5 more plugins in the chain).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-02-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Ditto. I use aux sends to aux tracks for all reverb and most delays. The delay exception is when I want to create a stereo widening effect on a mono track for a guitar part. That is the one time I will insert a mono in-stereo out delay plugin. Now a good use of setting an audio track output directly to an aux track would be for overall compression of a mix of several drum tracks or if you just had to have more than 5 plugins on a particular track(by routing it to an aux input, you could insert 5 more plugins in the chain).
Hi albee1952,

I wanted to bump this because I have a question on how you actually configure the aux/send relationship to get more than 5 plug-ins on a track using sends and an aux. track.Even though you explained it, I still can't grasp it. I was slightly confused on the last statement of your post on how exactly you can pull this off, but it is exactly what I have been trying to figure out. If you can help me, I will be very thankful.

Best,

Kenny
Old 01-03-2006, 12:44 AM

Set up an audio track and two aux tracks.

Audio track's output = 1st aux track's input. 1st aux track's output = 2nd aux track's input. 2nd aux track's output = Analog 1-2. The signal flows directly from the audio track to the 1st aux track to the 2nd aux track and on to the mix buss.

Et voila, enough inserts for 15 plugs: 5 on audio track, 5 on 1st aux track, 5 on 2nd aux track.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:42 AM

Thanks bro...you da man.

Best,

Kenny