Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2015, 05:18 AM

Default PT 11.3.1 Avid Video Engine !

Hi,

I create this post because there is already a post about problems with the Video engine but no real answer.

I'm a Windows 7 64bits Professional user and i can't use video on Pro tools 11 on my tower pc (i have a laptop too).

Video works on Pro tool 10.3.9, but not in the last 11 version. The problem is that the video works in Pro tools 11.3.1 on my laptop (that run on windows 7 too).

When i look to task manager on my laptop i can see that the AvidVideoEngine.exe is work and is activate. But on my tower pc when i want to start the video engine, the AvidVideoEngine.exe open and close just after.

I make all the optimization for windows 7, run it as administrator, create an other user session, but it still doesn't work... I don't understand where is the problem and why it's works on ma laptop and not my tower pc (they run on windows 7 64bits pro for both).

Can someone help me please :'/

Thank you
Old 02-24-2015, 08:19 PM

Default Re: PT 11.3.1 Avid Video Engine !

PLEASE HELP AVID!

A lot of users are asking for this since the first release of Pro Tools 11. And there has been no solution yet. Video works perfectly on pro tools 10, PT 11 video engine simply doesn't work, video displays black, codec errors, pro tools freezes....

Come on, this is not what we paid for, we are trusting you and spending our money in the hopes of working with the 'most professional DAW', the "industry standard"... I have been (proudly?) a Pro Tools user since 2008, but now Im just getting disappointed. I already posted 3 or 4 threads on this forum, and haven't received an answer at least. I even spent my support ticket for getting nothing in return.

Please help, this is very important for many of us that work with video. VIDEO ENGINE IS NOT WORKING ON PT 11.

I just installed 11.3.1, and the issue has not been solved.

--

I am on an Imac 27 8G RAM. OSX 10.9.3
Old 02-25-2015, 02:29 AM

The fact that it runs on your laptop maybe points to the PC having something missing. I'll start with something obvious, have you got Quicktime installed on your PC? You might also benefit from re-installing PT in case there was a glitch when it was originally installed. It's always difficult to diagnose a problem without having the computer in front of you. That said I am running 11.3.1 under Win7 Ultimate and work with video all the time without any issues. I also downloaded and installed the LE codec pack from the Avid web site.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 02-26-2015, 11:31 PM

I do notice under Windows 7, Avid Video Engine eats anywhere between 1.25 and 2 GB of RAM. By itself. (This is the "Commit" memory you can see in Resource Monitor.) Even if it isn't using it it grabs this much. Make sure you have plenty of RAM installed.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipi-sensei View Post
When i look to task manager on my laptop i can see that the AvidVideoEngine.exe is work and is activate. But on my tower pc when i want to start the video engine, the AvidVideoEngine.exe open and close just after.
Are you using desktop for video display or a separate video IO?
FWIW With Protool 11.3.1 here I sucessfully ran a Session with a 49 minute HD QuickTime movie (Avid DNxHD 185 codec) playing full screen on the second computer monitor here this morning. i7 home built workstation W7Pro 64 SP1 and the latest Media Co installed. (so the latest Avid codecs)
What video format are you trying to work with?

Andrew
Old 03-02-2015, 01:59 AM

Hi,

Thanks you for your answer.

I try with .avi format i have quicktime already installed (latest version). My .avi video works on my laptop.

I have 16go of ram on my pc.

I make a complete Pro tools uninstall and reinstall, and install the Last PE drivers.

No change it doesn't launch my AvidVideoEngine.exe at launch.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:17 AM

The .AVI codec is likely your problem. Use a different video codec, like Avid DNxHD. Try MPEG Streamclip to convert it.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:52 AM

Hi,

I don't think the problem is the .avi i will try the other format but if the .avi is the problem i don't understand why does my video works perfectly on my PT 11 laptop :/
Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 AM

Well i tried with this avid DNxHD format and it doesn't work.

Already the same problem when i check the task manager and want to load a video the AvidVideoEngine start but shutdown after few seconds...
Old 03-22-2015, 05:59 PM

I have Yosemite 10.10 on 17" MBP running PT 11.2.1 - vid engine runs like a charm. However, on 27" iMac with latest Yosemite and latest Pro Tools (or even pre 2 versions), "no" video engine. What a mistake I made upgrading THIS computer to Yosemite, although Avid says it should all work. I may have to wipe out the computer & try to mimic the MBP setup to get the video engine running. I "gotta" have video in PT for post work! Anyone else have any success?? Must be a system thing? Maybe a plugin? Maybe I went too far with Yos 10.10.2? BTW - both Mac's are mid 2011...

~ on the upside, my ol' Alesis MM12 FW still working in PT11 & Yosemite, well, on the MBP, LOL.