Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 AM

Default Machine Control COM Ports: Sync I/O vs CPU

Is using the COM ports of the computer rather than the ports on the Sync I/O still the recommended (required) practice?

I was thinking that maybe this was something that had been "solved" recently...

BTW, does anyone know what the reason was/is?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Avid

Yes, you should continue to use the COM ports on the computer.

I can't say for sure why this is - it's been a very long time since I asked, though I think I recall it had something to do with too much data trying to be sent to the SYNC IO if MC was used.

Don't quote me on that, though!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:31 AM

FWIW, I've been using the Sync I/O ports for two years now with v7.x and have had no problems. HD1 rig with Windows XP.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 PM

On the non Sync I O the Comm ports had to be used,b but we've gone to the Sync I O HD's we are using the 9 pin ports NO PRoblems.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 PM

I've been using the serial ports on the Sync I/O (non HD) as well with no apparent problems. But I was re-reading the manual recently & came across the parts where it recommends using the serial ports on the CPU & was curious as to why.

Mostly, I've been laying off whole shows (or whole parts) but I'd like to be able to do tighter, insert edits to fix problems here and there in a tape. So, I was wondering if I might get better performance using one set of serial ports over another.

Has anyone been doing really tight inserts, like one or two frames? Is that even feasible? I suppose it depends a lot on the VTR in question...
Old 08-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Avid

The issues we saw were that it didn't work on some systems and trying to determine exactly why was taking up way too many resources. Scrubbing also seemed to be much less reliable when using the ports on the Sync IO.

However, if it's working for you, you needn't worry - when it works, it seems to work just as well as the COM port.