Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Default audiosuite preview / workspace preview fixed in 7.4?

This bug is the bane of my miserable existence. After PT is running for a few hours, previewing in AudioSuite or previewing in the workspace browser causes LONG frozen delays when trying to go BACK to normal operation. It appears to be related to Digi's use of Direct I/O for these functions.

Danny (of Digi) said in another post, "We are currently investigating improvement possibilities for the previewing sluggishness in the workspace browser. No promises on when we can deliver, but rest assured, it's being looked at."

Danny or anyone else from Digi, can you give me any insight into whether this operation will be improved in 7.4, or will any MacOS upgrades help? Currently on OS10.4.8, PT 7.3.1cs4 (loading cs5 tomorrow).

Thanks!

-adam-
Atmos 7.1.2
hugmonstersound.com / unheardof.world
Old 10-10-2007, 03:00 AM

Default Re: audiosuite preview / workspace preview fixed in 7.4?

Quote:
This bug is the bane of my miserable existence. After PT is running for a few hours, previewing in AudioSuite or previewing in the workspace browser causes LONG frozen delays when trying to go BACK to normal operation. It appears to be related to Digi's use of Direct I/O for these functions.

Danny (of Digi) said in another post, "We are currently investigating improvement possibilities for the previewing sluggishness in the workspace browser. No promises on when we can deliver, but rest assured, it's being looked at."

Danny or anyone else from Digi, can you give me any insight into whether this operation will be improved in 7.4, or will any MacOS upgrades help? Currently on OS10.4.8, PT 7.3.1cs4 (loading cs5 tomorrow).

Thanks!

-adam-
Hi,

How much ram have you got?
I assume you've done all the trashing of the Digi database files from all hard drive partitions!!
I'm not seeing this problem and i've not seen many posts about it either!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 AM

Hi Crizdee, thanks for the reply.

I have trashed all the databases, and on occasion that makes an improvement for a few minutes or hours, but the problem always creeps back in within a day usually.

I have 2gb RAM. I've been keeping an eye on Activity Monitor during the freezes, and PT is never taking more than 1.5gb or so of RAM, and I try to have NOTHING but PT open... Of course if more RAM might solve this problem I would be more than happy to give it a try.

I have anecdotal confirmation from a few other studios that they are seeing similar, thought not identical, behavior... You are right that it doesn't seem to be a major problem for most users, but given Digi's acknowledgment, its clear to me that they could improve how the preview works...
Atmos 7.1.2
Old 10-10-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Hi Crizdee, thanks for the reply.

I have trashed all the databases, and on occasion that makes an improvement for a few minutes or hours, but the problem always creeps back in within a day usually.

I have 2gb RAM. I've been keeping an eye on Activity Monitor during the freezes, and PT is never taking more than 1.5gb or so of RAM, and I try to have NOTHING but PT open... Of course if more RAM might solve this problem I would be more than happy to give it a try.

I have anecdotal confirmation from a few other studios that they are seeing similar, thought not identical, behavior... You are right that it doesn't seem to be a major problem for most users, but given Digi's acknowledgment, its clear to me that they could improve how the preview works...
Hi,

One more thing i thought of: are the files you are audiosuite processing on an internal hard drive? and are the files you are previewing in workspace also on an internal drive?

Or are any of your drive's connected to a USB bus with a HUB on etc, as this will vastly slow down the access speed.

One thing that might be worth doing is, in your workspace, set all your drives that are not being used to record to, to T in the audio and video column! it might help, not sure!!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Everything is on external hard drives. AudioSuited files are obviously on active drives needing to be record-able. My effects library does not need to be recordable, that's where I'm doing most of my searching, and PREVIEWING in workspace - I suppose that one could be switched to 'T'

I'll give that a short and see if there is an improvement.

-adam-
Atmos 7.1.2
Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 PM

Are you on a G5 of some sort? I've seen some g5's have the streaming buffer connect and disconnect while in workspace if you let is sit for more than a 5-10 seconds then it'll release and have to reaquire itself which is very annoying if you're not constantly click on the next audio file.

What if you use Audio import to preview instead of the workspace? That should not have the problem if you're experiencing what I'm talking about.

Until Digi fixes this limitation of their software.

(This might be an LE only problem I'm referring to, I can't remember what interface I saw this on, but it does happen.)
Old 10-11-2007, 07:09 AM

This sounds like similar behavior to what I'm seeing, but YES its happening in the Import Audio window as well...

I'm on a MacPro Quad 2.0g, 2g ram.

thanks for the reply!
-adam-
Atmos 7.1.2
Old 10-11-2007, 09:02 AM

This *was* a design limitation of our software, but we have re-architected how we do preview in Pro Tools 7.4. It will take care of these problems when previewing in DigiBase and the region list, but the preview re-architecture for AudioSuite will have to wait for another release.

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 10-11-2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the reply and update, Danny, you've made my day!

As far as the audiosuite previewing, any thoughts on what may reduce the problem? More RAM seems to be one of the only remaining options, but I'm not sure if that will address the "flaw" that exists. The other possible fix is a Mac OS upgrade, since it seems to be the OS interaction that's causing the trouble? Any tips? Otherwise I can certainly work around the AS trouble, the workspace was a much bigger drain.

THANKS!!!

-adam-
Atmos 7.1.2
Old 10-11-2007, 12:35 PM

We are running eight systems with 10.4.9 and we have the exact same problem. Tried a full reinstall yesterday, but no luck. The audiosuite problem is most annoying. Previewing files can be done in finder or sound miner, or any other audio-application. We are also running with 2Gb of RAM.