Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Application Manager is unable to connect to Avid Servers on macOS Sierra

Hi all,

Hopefully this hasn't been posted somewhere around here. I'm currently receiving this error message in the thread and have attached the screen shot for reference.

Any ideas why I may be getting this error messages and how to stop it?

- Jeff

masOS Sierra Version 10.12 Beta
Pro Tools Version 12.5.0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pro Tools Issue.jpg (15.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-19-2016, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Application Manager is unable to connect to Avid Servers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRadfordMusic View Post
Hi all,

Hopefully this hasn't been posted somewhere around here. I'm currently receiving this error message in the thread and have attached the screen shot for reference.

- Jeff

Pro Tools Version 12.5.0
i see the same thing in Sierra Beta 6 / 12.5.2 .. obviously we are using a NON-Qualified OS at this time .. i do not see this in Mavericks 10.9.5 ..

do you have another Partition with older OS you can use ??

or just uninstall the AAM (applications / avid / application manager uninstaller ...

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-19-2016, 09:49 AM

John -

I'm really working to be more thorough in terms of details and production terms.

I've heard of partitioning and like the idea, however, I tried and failed. Probably dumb luck.

I suppose that I don't really need the Apps manager currently as this version of PT is ran on my laptop and I'm safe and secure with non-Sierra OS on my desktop rig.

Any notes or place you would recommend learning more on partitioning the hard drive successfully?

I wish that there was a pro shop that I could meet with to get my SW and use in order.

Thanks in advance!

- Jeff
Old 08-19-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
John -

I'm really working to be more thorough in terms of details and production terms.

I've heard of partitioning and like the idea, however, I tried and failed. Probably dumb luck.

I suppose that I don't really need the Apps manager currently as this version of PT is ran on my laptop and I'm safe and secure with non-Sierra OS on my desktop rig.

Any notes or place you would recommend learning more on partitioning the hard drive successfully?

I wish that there was a pro shop that I could meet with to get my SW and use in order.

Thanks in advance!

- Jeff
Partitioning the system drive is super-easy. You can do it all in OSX disk utility. How to do it is all there. However if your system drive is an ssd that's not something that's usually done with them. I have a 7200 rpm 2 terabyte spinner in my iMac and have two partitions (one for OSX 10.8.5 and one for OSX 10.9.5). Even had a third for OSX 10.10.5 at one point but no more.

QAPLA!
Old 08-20-2016, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Application Manager is unable to connect to Avid Servers on macOS Sierra

Yep - APPLE SSD SM0256F Media - Probably isn't going to fit the mold. However when the new Pro roles out I'm going to update my mobile rig and now I know NOT to go with the SSD drive.

For knowledge sake what's the difference in drives and why aren't SSD's typically partitioned?

I owe you a coffee for all your responses, friend!

- Jeff
Old 08-20-2016, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Application Manager is unable to connect to Avid Servers on macOS Sierra

I guess you have noticed that the latest supported OSX version is 10.11.3, right?
Old 08-20-2016, 12:21 PM

Oh yeah, Janne. I knew it was a whim to do a beta install of Sierra, but since it's not my desktop, I thought, what the hell for ****s and giggles.

Surprisingly, Pro Tools, (so far) works without glitches.

Consider me a trail blazer!

- Jeff
Old 08-20-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
John -

Thanks in advance!

- Jeff
What did you try and fail to do? (Ideally point to the online instructions you were following and describe exactly what went wrong/exact errors etc.) You normally have to create the new partition to install an OS to using the OS X Disk Utility and then you download to the existing partition a full OS X installer, run it and when asked point it at that new partition you just created... You have to install an version of OS X supported on that computer (i.e. at least a version it came with or later). You can also put an OS X installer on bootable DVD-ROM or USB flash sticks which may be easier on some cases. Instructions for doing all this is well documented by Apple and others.

Partitioning the drive to boot/run multiple different OSes is done all the time on HDD and SSDs. And done a lot on OS X specifically to run BootCamp. Few vendors including Apple ship drives pre-partitioned with multiple (user-visible) partitions on them. Why would they want to? It just wastes space and would confuse many users. And Macs actually do ship with hidden recovery partitions, wether the Mac has an SSD or HDD.

You can look up online how to partition a drive with OS X. You may even find Sierra specific instructions. Oh look, first hit with Google.. http://www.imore.com/how-partition-y...t-macos-sierra (you should have done that before starting with Sierra, but similar steps follow for putting a previous OS back on a new partition).

DUC is not the best place to cover basic systems administration that is well covered already elsewhere. But if you are having to ask these type of questions maybe you are maybe not a good candidate to be running pre-release operating systems... but OK good to learn stuff. Just be cautious, I hope you have all your stuff regularly backed up, (at least two different ways, stored in two different places, neither of them left attached to the local computer) and you are ready to completely wipe the boot drive and reinstall the OS and all your apps when Sierra finally ships (because you really want to be sure everything is a full clean install).
Old 08-20-2016, 01:07 PM

I've been seeing the same thing off and on in windows.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

- Jeff

Pro Tools Version 12.5.0
I am getting this on 10.11!!!!!!!!