Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Default Question about selling PTHD license with TDM cards

Earlier this year I sold a used HD Native card on eBay and included the PTHD9 software in the purchase. Unfortunately when it came time to send the buyer his product, I learned that the PTHD9 license was non-transferrable to another iLok.com account, so after a good week of phone calls with Avid registration support, I ended up sending a physical iLok to the buyer with the license on it, and since the iLok had to be registered to my iLok.com account in order to accept the license, the poor guy is stuck an iLok with a single license on it that he can't register to his iLok account or add anything else to.

Now I'm getting ready to sell my HD3 PCIe rig and would like to know what the correct procedure is for dealing with the PTHD9 bundle iLok asset(s). Is there now a system in place to allow me to transfer PTHD licenses to the new user's iLok account? The licenses still show up on iLok.com as non-transferrable, but I know people who have purchased PTHD licenses recently on ebay so somehow they must be a way to move them. Or should I just sell the cards w/o the software to save headaches?
Old 10-29-2011, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Question about selling PTHD license with TDM cards

This is a real good question, looking for an answer myself.
I was always under the impression that when one sells a core card the PT software iLok license must be included. How will this work if the license can't be transferred??

Oliver
Old 10-29-2011, 05:29 AM

You should have put the asset on a new iLok, then removed it from your account and sent it to him.
Then he could have sync'd it to his account.
This can still be done.
He needs to have a new iLok plugged in along with the one that's registered to your account.
He logs into your account, moves the asset to the new iLok, then ejects the new iLok from your account, logs in to his account and syncs the new iLok to his account

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
You should have put the asset on a new iLok, then removed it from your account and sent it to him.
Then he could have sync'd it to his account.
This was one of the options I tried back when going through this with my Native card and it does not work. Once the PTHD license is on the new iLok, the iLok is no longer eligible to removed from your iLok.com account via the 7 day grace period. It seems Avid has some pretty severe restrictions on their iLok assets now, thus the reason for my post.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
This was one of the options I tried back when going through this with my Native card and it does not work. Once the PTHD license is on the new iLok, the iLok is no longer eligible to removed from your iLok.com account via the 7 day grace period. It seems Avid has some pretty severe restrictions on their iLok assets now, thus the reason for my post.
I did it yesterday with no problems
Old 10-29-2011, 01:50 PM

Was it a PT9 license or an earlier version? The ilok asset changes seem to have come along with PT9, or maybe they've changed policies yet again since my nightmare experience this summer. Would love to get some final clarification on this from someone in the know.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:53 PM

It was a 9HD license.
Last week I did the same thing with a regular 9 license, for a guy that came over to buy my old 003R.
Two weeks ago I transferred a regular 9 to another's account via iLok.com as well.