Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-20-2015, 03:16 PM

Default "Standalone upgrades will no longer be available"?

Have I missed something?

Just received an email from Avid saying that the price of my HD upgrade will increase to $1375AUD after 31st December. Not particularly bothered at the moment as I've bought a vanilla license as I run 3rd party HW and 12HD doesn't offer me anything like value for money over vanilla, anyhow I digress.

The final paragraph of the email states: "After December 31st, standalone upgrades will no longer be available—take advantage of this special offer today and get your upgrade through your local reseller."

What exactly does it mean by standalone upgrade?

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 12-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Avid

Default Re: "Standalone upgrades will no longer be available"?

Hello Chaz,

Please see the Licensing info at http://www.avid.com/products/pro-too...ware/licensing as well as the FAQ starting at http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/F...icensing-FAQ#6 for more info about this.

Thanks,
JC
Old 12-20-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hello Chaz,

Please see the Licensing info at http://www.avid.com/products/pro-too...ware/licensing as well as the FAQ starting at http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/F...icensing-FAQ#6 for more info about this.

Thanks,
JC
Woah, wait a minute... at the very bottom of the first link page you post it states " Please note that while Pro Tools | HD 12 can be used as standalone software, it only works with Pro Tools | HDX and Pro Tools | HD Native hardware "

The wording in my email states standalone upgrades will not be available after December 31st. Is Avid stating that if I use non-Avid hardware only I will not be eligible to upgrade my ex-CPTK PT11HD licence after Dec 31st?

That's the only mention of stand alone I can find in those links relating to the email I received and the reason for my original post. What exactly does a standalone upgrade mean?

Shifting Sands Audio

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 12-20-2015, 04:32 PM

All that comment means is Pro Tools 12 does not work with old HD TDM hardware. The last version of HD to support HD TDM is Pro Tools 10. It is just poorly written on Avid's part, but they don't seem to listen. This has been asked many times and flogged to death on DUC.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:36 PM

Yeah I know that an HD license will work on 3rd party HW and TDM won't work past 10 & that is badly worded. What I'm confused about is what exactly do they mean by saying standalone HD upgrades will not be available after Dec 31st?

Shifting Sands Audio

Last edited by ChazC; 12-20-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazC View Post
Yeah I know that an HD license will work on 3rd party HW and TDM won't work past 10 & that is badly worded. What I'm confused about is what exactly do they mean by saying standalone HD upgrades will not be available after Dec 31st?
Chaz, please point me to where you've seen Avid say that standalone HD upgrades will not be available after Dec 31st. I can't see that anywhere.

See also the emails I've sent you.
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 12-21-2015, 11:44 AM

I've forwarded the email I got from Avid. As you'll read, it's worded differently to yours & specifically states standalone upgrades will not be available after Dec 31st.

So the question remains to Avid: what do you mean by standalone upgrades? I'd appreciate a reply ASAP as the clock is ticking...

Shifting Sands Audio

Old 12-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Avid

Perhaps it's the "standalone" reference that's complicating this. (Not related to software without hardware, like running Pro Tools HD standalone - without HD hardware). It basically means we have changed from selling Upgrades (you get the current version of software) to Upgrade and Support Plans (you get the current version along with a year of upgrades, support, extra plug-ins) which are renewable annually. If you are on a current plan you can renew each year at a lower price than buying back in after your plan has expired.

Regards,
JC
Old 12-21-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Perhaps it's the "standalone" reference that's complicating this. (Not related to software without hardware, like running Pro Tools HD standalone - without HD hardware). It basically means we have changed from selling Upgrades (you get the current version of software) to Upgrade and Support Plans (you get the current version along with a year of upgrades, support, extra plug-ins) which are renewable annually. If you are on a current plan you can renew each year at a lower price than buying back in after your plan has expired.

Regards,
JC
JC, I think I understand what you mean, but it is somewhat bizarre that two users would get differently worded emails about the same thing.

The two emails, while conveying similar sentiments, are worded quite differently, a different first paragraph, different bullet points, etc. etc., but come from the very same Avid email address ... no-reply-mkto@avid.com

Look at the paragraph immediately after the last bullet point. The one that starts with "Special Pricing" in the email I received, but starts with "After December 31st" in the mail Chaz received. It's that sentence in Chaz's email that has him spooked a little, and I can understand why.

JC ... can you have a bit more of a look into this and get some clarification please? Something seems to be seriously amiss, it's only a couple of days before everyone will shut down for the Xmas holiday, and we shouldn't be left with uncertainty hanging over us at this point in time, when it might be too late in a few days time.

It would be good to get real certainty as to what message the author was actually intending to convey.

Mine, dated 8th December, sent to a UK resident, reads as follows (and I've put (bullet x) as appropriate because bullet points don't get pasted across correctly) ...

Quote:
Upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 12
Get current for £380 ex VAT — ending soon

Dear Pro Tools | HD Customer,

Pro Tools | HD 12 delivers even more power and features, so you can create bigger, better sounding mixes faster with more innovation on the way. Our special upgrade pricing for Pro Tools | HD 12 offers incredible value and enables you to stay current with the industry’s most powerful DAW. And after the first year, the annual renewal will only be £260 ex VAT.
  • Save valuable time on your mixes with faster-than-real-time offline bounce
  • Play and edit HD video right in the Pro Tools timeline—without transcoding
  • Mix with confidence using extended metering, including gain reduction
  • Access a bonus collection of AAX plug-ins—including Pro Limiter, Pro Multiband, Eleven, and more
  • Get future updates, upgrades, and expert help for one year, renewable annually
Special pricing ends December 31, 2015 — upgrade today and take your music and audio production capabilities even further. Get your upgrade today through the Avid Store or your local reseller.

We wish you many more years of creative enjoyment.

Best regards,
Avid
Chaz's is dated 21st December, sent to an ex pat Brit living in Australia ....

Quote:
Upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 12
Special upgrade pricing ends December 31st!

Dear Pro Tools | HD Customer,

Time is running out to upgrade to Pro Tools | HD 12 for just $823—after December 31st, the upgrade price will increase to $1,375. Don’t miss your opportunity to stay ahead of the curve with the industry’s most powerful audio production toolset.
  • Free up more processing power with Track Freeze, coming in 12.4 this month
  • Get powerful 64-bit performance to handle bigger projects with ease
  • Speed up mixdown with faster-than-real-time Offline Bounce and Track Commit
  • Stay up to date with future updates, upgrades, and expert help for one year
After December 31st, standalone upgrades will no longer be available—take advantage of this special offer today and get your upgrade through your local reseller.

Wishing you all the very best for Christmas and much creative enjoyment in the New Year!

Cheers,
Avid

* All prices are in Australian dollars and include GST
* If you have already upgraded, we thank you very much and you may disregard this reminder
I have not received the 21st December email, and as far as I know, Chaz didn't receive the 8th December email. The 21st December email has the feel of a reminder, as if it might be a follow up to the 8th December email, trying to emphasise the coming change and encourage people to upgrade NOW. If so, why hasn't it gone to everyone?

And, regardless, the amateurish wording has resulted in yet another unnecessary hare being set loose. It's almost as if Avid enjoys making ambiguous announcements, it makes so many of them!
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 12-21-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Fixed the bullets and quoting to make it easier to read.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Avid

I think I explained the 'standalone' comment in my previous post, sorry that it's causing confusion.

What both emails are trying to say is that there is a 12/31/2015 deadline to get on the Upgrade and Support Plan at current pricing (the amounts are different in the emails since they are in local currency).

$599USD for the Pro Tools HD Upgrade and Support Plan by 12/31/2015, $999USD for the Pro Tools HD Upgrade and Support Plan if you wait until after 12/31/2015.

Thanks,
JC

P.S. Fixed the bullets and quoting to make it easier to read.