Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-16-2010, 12:31 AM

Default QT Delivery Codecs question

Hey guys, I've been tasked by my local Production Group to come up with a set of standards regarding video files sent to and from the video post places. We are in the Philippines that is generally NTSC and pretty much still on 4:3 for television. Most studios here use Canopus boxes over Firewire. We use PCI cards. Of the video places everyone except one is on Final Cut Pro with a mix of Black Magic and AJA cards. A few are still on Media Composer and one lone house running on Premiere Pro. Most video houses now are running 23.98fps uncompressed.

OK what do you think would be the best spec for a video house to send a Quicktime file for us. A rough survey of the FCP places, we came up with the following:

320 x 240, 4:3 aspect ratio, JPEG (photo jpg) at 29.97fps NTSC, TC at 00:01:00:00 at FFOA with a two pop before FFOA and Tail Pop after LFOA. Most FCP places want an JPEG or Apple Pro Res as these are the quickest for them to output. We can also go with a higher res, but these days people bring files on a Flash Drive or Email. Our old Codec was MJPEG-A which I found most compatible, but the video places balk because this takes time to render out for them and something client usually does not pay for.

The Adobe Premiere place wanted to us H264 as his codec, but I heard that was not the best for editing though it is great for presentation. What are your opinions on this. H264 is a great looking codec which is small and emailable.

Most of the Canopus audio houses re-convert to DV. The video places were not too keen on delivering on DV, but what do you guys suggest. DV25 for offline and DV50 for high end work. We probably will need to transcode to MPEG-2 for client DVD copies, H264 for the clients on Mac and MPEG-1 for email to one really big client who is all on PCs and requires MPEG -1 files under 5MB for a 60sec TV spot.

Well this is the first batch of questions to get this thread started. Curious to see what people in other parts of the world are doing. Looking forward to hearing your answers.
www.hitproductions.net
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 AM

Default Re: QT Delivery Codecs question

To add . . . I do not mind working on 23.98fps if that would make things easier and a simple almost universal delivery standard for all.

Also video post places work 48KHz / 16 Bit, while all audio houses work at 48KHz / 24 Bit. We usually don't do it, but it would probably be best to dither down to 16 Bit when sending files back to the video places for Layback. Currently, everyone works with 0VU= -20dBFS with a peak hard limited at -9dBFS.

No agreement if we should send them back AIFF or BWF, they take both. Best to standardize. What do you guys suggest. BWF seems to be a good compromise taking into consideration the lone Premiere house.

Hope this info helps. Thanks.
www.hitproductions.net
Old 10-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

I wish somebody did standardize vision delivery specs down here in NZ.
I get all sorts, from muxed mpegs to wmv files.
But I prefer Apple Pro Res or Photo jpeg files.

Check out WaveRider + Defaulter:
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 AM

Out of interest: which current video delivery media is 16bit?

The "worst" I know is Digibeta which is 20bit. Why do people still work at 16bit?

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post

The "worst" I know is Digibeta which is 20bit. Why do people still work at 16bit?

Thanks,

Frank.
Probably because it's transmitted at 16-bit or 14-bit (in the case of NICAM), and 20-bit isn't really a common standard, it's 16 or 24. Guessing if it was 20-bit delivery a lot of truncating would occur at TX.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post

Thanks,

Frank.
Hi Frank,

20 Bits are the digital Inputs, 18 Bit the analog In´s.
Ok i´m working in tv business and the only audio which is 24 Bit is the V/O Mic.

Music and filmed material, mostly DV, is 16 Bit. So for news and magazines (Extra, Exclusiv,Explosiv etc.) we use 16 Bit.

regards

Jochen
Old 10-18-2010, 05:50 PM

People still use DV in Germany!?