Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 AM

Default Have I messed up?

Hi I just assembled a brand new computer.

I7 950 3066MHz processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R MoBo
8 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz Corsair XMS3 RAM
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA HDD
AMD Radeon HD 6870 1 GB RAM

I installed Pro tools 8.0.4 together with my Mbox mini and updated to the 8.0.5 version.

I then "installed" my Oxygen49 Midi and ran PT just to see if the MIDI and Pro tools were working together. No problem so far.

Then I installed Strike 1.0 and the installation went fine.

Tried to launch PT again but it told me that I was missing the "MSVCR71.dll" file. So I downloaded the .dll file and placed it in the C:\...\sysWOW64 folder.

Ran Pro Tools again, and it did not ask me for the missing file, but instead nothing happened after the "Strike dpm" was show in the loading process.

I found another topic on that particularly subject, and figured IE8 might be the problem. But I also learned that IE8 is built in WIN7, so you cannot remove it, but I unchecked the IE8 box in "turn windows features on and off"

I updated my ilok drivers/licenses since they were quite old.

I uninstalled Strike and installed it again.

I launched PT and the start/loading process of the plugins now takes approximately 5 mins, and it didn't really seem to be loading the plug-ins correctly? But... It works!

So My question is have I done something wrong? I should mention too that the second time I installed Strike, I decided to install it on the secondary drive, the drive I have dedicated to recording my music onto. Was that a bad decision since I know it's no good to record to the same HD you're running PT from. Is that the same rule with a plugin?

Thanks in advance and all the best.

Nick Madsen
Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Have I messed up?

"the second time I installed Strike, I decided to install it on the secondary drive, the drive I have dedicated to recording my music onto. Was that a bad decision"
Yes it was a bad choice. Sample libraries should go either on their own drive(which means 3 drives) or the system drive. Plugins should not be installed on the recording drive. I would probably uninstall both PT and Strike and start over. This is another place where Acronis True Image would be helpful. You could have saved images with just the OS installed and tweaked, another with just PT installed(so you could revert quick and easy). I have images of those states, plus images with some, and with all plugins added. I also keep a cloned system drive for my PT machine(I can suffer a total crash and be up and running in under a minute)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-26-2011, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Have I messed up?

Ok, I started all over again and installed everything on the system drive.

Everything works fine, except when I try to update Strike to the 1.5 version, there is an error message saying something like "interlok couldn't launch"

And I really want to upgrade since I've lost my Strike content expansion on my old PC.

Anyone knows how to fix this?