Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 01-08-2016, 05:36 PM

Default Major Memory Leak in Eucon 3.3.2

Hello all, I thought I would bring this to everyone's attention that there is a severe memory leak in Eucon 3.3.2, at least on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (I have not tested this on Windows). I created a ticket for this with Avid over a month ago, but it has still not updated with a fix yet and just today I noticed my system running slowly - I checked my memory usage and lo and behold, Eucon is using up 33GB (YES YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY, THIRTY-THREE GIGABYTES!!) of system memory. Since I have only 32GB in my system, and I was running Pro Tools which itself was using several GB of memory, that was forcing much of the Eucon data to be constantly paged in and out from disk which can wreak havoc on an SSD based system that has limited write durability. This really teed me off so I thought I would make a post and hopefully this will draw more attention to this problem and get this severe issue addressed ASAP. I would advise people to not let EUCON run in the background, or even at all, right now. If someone wants to do a test on another OS, just start Eucon and note its memory usage then wait an hour or so and check it again to see if its usage has increased, then keep checking periodically until you are satisfied that either its memory usage is stable or is steadily increasing. If it is steadily increasing then Eucon has a memory leak on your system.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Major Memory Leak in Eucon 3.3.2

I'll test Eucon 3.3.2 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 and report back on Sunday.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I'll test Eucon 3.3.2 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 and report back on Sunday.
Thanks, I look forward to hearing what you find.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:30 PM

Confirmed here with Yosemite 10.10.5 and Eucon 3.3.2. I fired up Eucon with a Mix and a Transport with no PT session. Initial memory consumption on startup is just over 19MB. After an hour, it was just over 3x that (63MB).

If I start up a PT 12.4 session with moderate fader movement and transport activity after a reboot, and work for half an hour, Eucon memory usage increased to well over 800MB (42x).

The memory leak definitely appears to be worse with usage as opposed to running idle. I think we just uncovered what's causing Eucon to crash after a couple of hours. If you never reboot, I could see this definitely affecting system performance and stability over time.

NL
Old 01-11-2016, 09:09 AM

A little more triage here. Even with all Artist devices powered down, there's still a small leak. It appears just slightly slower than not having PT running.

I have also been running the mobile Control app from my iPad, but that wasn't on for this testing. I may try another round of tests later this morning to see if it might worsen with Control... My worst Eucon crashes were before I even started playing with Control. I have to wonder if the leak might not be related to adding the new Control functionality (purely speculation on my part).

NL
Old 01-11-2016, 09:18 AM

Didn't have time to install 3.3.2 on my Win7 machine, sorry. I hope to get to that in a few days. I'll update when I do.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
Hello all, I thought I would bring this to everyone's attention that there is a severe memory leak in Eucon 3.3.2, at least on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (I have not tested this on Windows). I created a ticket for this with Avid over a month ago, but it has still not updated with a fix yet and just today I noticed my system running slowly - I checked my memory usage and lo and behold, Eucon is using up 33GB (YES YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY, THIRTY-THREE GIGABYTES!!) of system memory. Since I have only 32GB in my system, and I was running Pro Tools which itself was using several GB of memory, that was forcing much of the Eucon data to be constantly paged in and out from disk which can wreak havoc on an SSD based system that has limited write durability. This really teed me off so I thought I would make a post and hopefully this will draw more attention to this problem and get this severe issue addressed ASAP. I would advise people to not let EUCON run in the background, or even at all, right now. If someone wants to do a test on another OS, just start Eucon and note its memory usage then wait an hour or so and check it again to see if its usage has increased, then keep checking periodically until you are satisfied that either its memory usage is stable or is steadily increasing. If it is steadily increasing then Eucon has a memory leak on your system.
We are currently looking into some memory leak issues. A few questions:

Are you seeing the memory usage go up in Pro Tools as well as EuControl? Or just EuControl?

If you restart the application with the memory leak, does that buy you some time and help avoid a crash (assuming you are seeing a crash)?

What ticket did you submit? Do you have case number or anything I can reference?

Thanks,
Berkeley, CA
Old 01-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post

Is your computer ever going to sleep/energy save mode when you start to see the memory leak? Or are all of these features turned off? I have been trying to make this happen in Yosemite with 3.3.2 and cannot see the memory leak with a Pro tools session open for a couple hours.

Also, are you opening/reopening sessions alot, or are things just idle?
Old 01-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Avid

Also, @jsvalmont...

What memory number are you reading? Is this in Activity Monitor process list, or have you selected EuControl from Activity Monitor, then pressed the info button to see Virtual Memory Size? Please provide a screenshot so we can see exactly what you are seeing.

Thanks,
Berkeley, CA
Old 01-11-2016, 01:58 PM

We've noticed the memory leak, too. Opening it just now, after about 2 hours of use, it was grabbing 99MB. After closing and reopening it was using 27MB then quickly shot up to 38MB after about 10 seconds though we'd done nothing with the computer.

We've been looking at Activity Monitor's process list. Should we examine the virtual memory size, too?