Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 AM

Default Help with Strike and Roland HD-1

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am using the Roland V HD-1 as a midi input device via my Fast track Pro to Strike. I have my input channel for Strike set to 2 and the HD-1 transmits on channel 10. It works, when I play the HD-1 I can see and hear the proper mapping for all the drums except the two pad controllers for tom1 and tom2 both trigger the hi tom in Strike and the floor tom on the HD-1 triggers the mid-tom in Strike. I cannot change the assignments on the HD-1. Is there a way to change the assigned note in Strike. I've been looking through the manual and just hacking around but have yet to discovered how this can be accomplished, maybe it can't. The kit works great with Expand but the sounds are so much better in Strike, I'm hoping that there isn't an incompatibility that I will not be able to work around.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Help with Strike and Roland HD-1

I called Roland Support based on the advice of the sales representative that services the store where I purchased the Roland HD-1 and they don't use Pro-Tools or know anything about it. I did call Digidesign and while the support person was very helpful the answer provided did not solve my problem. It fact I don't believe that it can be solved unless I get a drum set that has a programmable controller. On the kit keyboard layout in the area to the right where you can assign a particular drum to a key the midi values are too high to match what the Roland is sending for the pads that do not correspond to expected value in Strike. There is no way I can see that you can change the midi-value associated with a key. I am not a programmer but you would think that wouldn't be something all that hard to implement. I guess the thing that gets me is that the kit works perfectly with Expand, but does not work with Strike which is a much more sophisticated piece of software. Oh, well!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 AM

Last log entry. Tech support by mail did confirm that the midi values accepted by Strike cannot be changed. I upgraded to a Roland TD-3SW drum set and you can change the Midi assigned value for each pad, problem solved. Just be sure if you purchase a drum kit and would like to use it with Strike that the kit's midi transmitted value for each pad can be re-programmed. Hopefully this saves someone else the trouble of having to box back up a set and return it.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:51 PM

great info..my son has the HD-1 and i tryed it with EZD.
All works so far ..its really fun !
maybe this were a solution for owners of the HD-1 too .. MidiPipe
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos.../midipipe.html
anyways enjoy your new Roland kit !
cheers
d
Old 11-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Hi All,
Whilst this is a few years ago this post, I recently had the same issue.

I have found a a way to map my HD-1 Roland kit to Strike drums in Pro-Tools MP9.
In Protools
1. Setup Midi to receive your drum kit using a new Stereo Instrument Track
2. Add the Strike Plug-in to the Instrument Track
3. On the Instrument Track, set the Midi Output Selector to Strike Channel 2 (for Kit as opposed to Patterns)
4. Select the Instrument Track in Editor Window. Right Click and Select MIDI Real Time Properties. Transpose the track by +3 Octaves. This will re-map the Drum kit into Strike starting at Note C4 instead of C1.
5. Now you can map the drums and instruments by right clicking the C4-B5 Triggers keys in Strike to different instruments to the kit. Right click the triggers and simply re-assign.

This allows to fix the toms that were mis-mapped, and select other snares like a RIM shot etc.

Hope this makes sense and helps others.
Mark
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 AM

I had been trying to make things happen with PT 9HD, and HD-1, and Drum Lab within Kontakt. I couldn't get the MIDI to trigger every note. Strike is working much better for me now. Marc -- thanks so much for your post. Very helpful.