Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-18-2001, 03:46 PM

Default Windows or Mac - PTLE differences???

I switched from my Roland VS1680 to Digi001 and PTLE a few weeks ago. This was the right move. However, since I had a 750Mhz Pentium III available for free, I went the PC way. I friend of mine just mentioned to me that the Mac version of PTLE is much mor epowerful, and can do things that the Windows version can't.
So my question is what are the differences between the 2 platforms?
Thanks for your answers.
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 11-18-2001, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Windows or Mac - PTLE differences???

AMD Athlon based 001/PC systems are top of the Digi heap these day for sheer power. Your friend is right about the features, though. There are aspects of PTLE that only work on Mac platform, and more 3rd party plugins. Go up to the top and "Search the DUC" for "Mac verses PC", or variations on the theme. It's a ever present topic here. You'll find many strong opinions.
Old 11-18-2001, 04:56 PM

I think that an Athlon PTLE system with the Gold Waves bundle is hard to beat and is far a better package than the Mac version. I just finished working on a Mac G3 today for about 7 hours. What a piece of donkey dung. Slow and I hate that sticky, clumsy mouse. Programs stalling when you run more than one at a time. I went out and pulled out my old Pentium 133MHZ and it is faster than this Mac. No thanks.
Check out the Waves Gold Bundle here for the best plugins for your PTLE. I just picked up the Rennaisance Native Collection and it is great. Has the three plugins that I need most. Go here for product information and for a 14 day trial of the full version of Waves Gold Bundle.
www.waves.com
Good move.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2001, 05:01 PM

I agree about Waves Allen, only, my demo has expired and I don't have the extra pennys just before Christmas. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Soon.
Old 11-18-2001, 05:12 PM

your p111 will do just fine for now.U will probably want extra performance later on,but my advice to you would be to use the system you have (the p111 tend to be stable for the most) for a while and get the hang of everything,and then make an informed decision for upgrading later.I suspect a newer version of PT cant be very far in the future , and computer hardware technology is also moving at an astounding pace,so by the time you know your way around PT,the world will probably be very different and you will have more options.If you have a system available to you for free,use it.Dont go on a spending spree just yet.The athlons are great,but there is Win XP,P4's,new storage and all kinds of other things out there finding their feet.The G5 is also coming soon,on the Mac side.
The fastest sytems here(the AMD's and higher end P4's)are already handeling the Max tracks and processing count PT can throw at them ,and they are getting better and better.

So learn PT first,and then choose whats available then.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:08 PM

a mac that has equal power of the pc version would cost approx 4x as much. also, more and more plugins and feature are being added to the pc side, such as waves, and supposedly direct connect is going to be availible on the next upgrade [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2001, 01:03 PM

j20056

The differences between the systems are for E.G Loop playback function reacts differently
you can hold down the cap key and move a high lighted track with out keep having to press play on the region selection you may have changed. The mac has other facilities PC doesn't have but with a PC that has an Athlon XP chip you can burn 24 tracks easily.
Also with PC you won't run into memory allocation problems like with macs but Win errors instead.

go PC and you will be glad you didn't waste your cash as Macs seem slow and over priced at the momment. Get a DDR Athlon MOBO and XP when you can. If you ever get rich enough for TDM then you might need a Mac.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2001, 03:02 PM

I'm looking at getting into PTLE so I can have compatibility between my home and studio recordings. If I understand the thread correctly, the advantages of having a Mac for PTLE relate more to the interface (e.g., key stroke shortcuts) and availability of RTAS plugins than to processing power. So I'd be smarter to learn the ropes on my loaded PIII 1GHz than to get a Titanium Powerbook with a 400 MHz CPU?
A couple of other things I need to clarify about using a PC are: PTLE only runs on 98SE or ME, but not on 2000 or XP? And what about this Digi 002 that's supposed to be released in January? Does anyone know if it's PC friendly?
Thx.
Old 11-21-2001, 03:27 PM

Here are the differences as I know them:

On the Mac you have:

More plugins
Quicktime movie support
Samplecell
Direct Connect

On the PC:
Much more power at a much smaller price

I'll probably buy both a Mac and a PC
Old 11-21-2001, 05:56 PM

Digi and Avid have been trying to make the application experience the same on both platforms. They have gotten very close. You won't see much difference besides some keystroke since the platforms have different names for basically the same functions.

I like the Mac for ease of updating and overall usage. The new G5 chips should surpas PC performance in February. And one day the OS X version should be done and will be a killer app.

You will find more plug-ins on the Mac since more professionals use the Mac platform. And Digi creates on the Mac and ports to the PC.

If you feel more comfortable on one platform than the other, get that one.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.