Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2020, 04:01 PM

Default Noise at 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz out of audio interface

I hope there is one knowledgeable forum member who could help me to solve this.
When I set my Pro Tools session at 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz the audio from the Presonus Quantum 2626 interface makes an unbearable continuous loud noise akin to a tuner searching for a radio station. At higher values , for example 96 kHz, the sound out of the audio interface main output is perfect. I just received a new replacement interface from Presonus and the same problem persists.
Some info on my hardware and OS :

Windows 10 Pro
64-bit operating system , x64-based processor
Computer: Lenovo ThinkPad P52. 32 GB RAM. Intel Core i7-8750H [email protected] 2.21 GHz. 6 Core
Presonus Quantum 2626 connected to computer with Thunderbolt 3

I will appreciate anyone who could help me.

Best regards -David-
Old 07-28-2020, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Noise at 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz out of audio interface

Have you gone into Sound Properties and set Windows to use the on-board sound card? If that' not it, I would download the driver from Presonus again and re-install(followed by checking the Windows isn't grabbing the Presonus as the driver install might cause that)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-28-2020, 07:12 PM

Hi Welcome to DUC.

Start with what Dave said. But not just windows make sure no other apps are running that are trying to use that interface. No Studio One etc.

---

I have no experience with that interface, but when you open a session at a different rate does the Universal control panel for the interface show the sample rate has changed?

In the control panel try changing the baud rate to the new session with Pro Tools not running then open Pro Tools with that session.

These are just generic type issues that can hit some interfaces, I have no idea if the Presonus will have these issues but try it.

If none of this helps and there is no better advice here I would seek more help from Presonus.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-28-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:26 AM

Hi Darryl ,

Thanks for your suggestions David and Darryl.
Yes, Universal Control will automatically change the sample rate to the Pro Tools session settings and that will be the only option available while working on that session. So, the audio from a session set at 44.1 kHz makes the bad noise and for a session at a high rate is good. If I go to Spotify or Youtube and listen to music, then Universal Control will allow me to choose any of the sample rates. When I choose for example 96 KHz , then the sound out of the Presonus is perfect , but if I choose 48 or 44.1 kHz the noise makes any listening unbearable. Unfortunately, Presonus' customer service has not made a real effort to solve the problem. The retailer I purchased the interface from attempted to help me by sending me a new Presonus unit, yet the same problem persists. When I received the new unit I uninstalled and reinstalled Universal Control.