Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Default Tracks for remote artists

I am sure this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find the right search terms to find the threads.

I would like to add a track(s) to a project for a singer(s) in another city. No way to get together at the moment. I will be grateful for links to articles, "how to", and other info to help me learn how to do this.

I am new to Pro Tools; working with it about one year. I have used Logic Pro X in the past. Still, a noob by any measure.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Tracks for remote artists

While there is likely several ways to handle this, here is how I do it:
1-Create the track on my PT system
2-Bounce as a stereo file(from zero) and name it with the bpm(such as "songtitle_110BPM")
3-Upload to the other person with wetransfer.com(or other large file sharing like dropbox).
At the other end, that person imports the audio file into a session with the tempo set to match(hence the BPM number). When they finish their contributions, there are a few ways to get the files back onto your system for mix. Just make sure they either bounce from zero, or consolidate the track(s) back to zero(and then, Export Clips as Files). Paying attention to the tempo and consolidating back to zero means that importing audio will always line up.

An addendum to steps 2&3 above: you could bounce as MP3 and email the file. When the other person imports to their session, it will convert to wave. Since they are not going to send back the original track(the one from you), any conversion degradation won't matter as its simply a reference track(but have them send you a wave file, unless audio quality is not very important to the final destination).

BTW, this method works, no matter what DAW is used by either person.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-03-2020, 04:50 PM

Thanks, Dave. I will give that a try.
I wondered whether there might be another approach with all the new interest in remote collaboration these days.

Last edited by mophilly; 07-03-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:59 AM

Well if the singer had their Pro Tools project set up for Cloud Collaboration they could add you to the project and you could contribute your track directly into the session... it is a lot to set up, however.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor4814 View Post
Well if the singer had their Pro Tools project set up for Cloud Collaboration they could add you to the project and you could contribute your track directly into the session... it is a lot to set up, however.
Lots of ways to have this work, but also lots of ways for it to go sour, hence my earlier advice If both parties use the same software, you can also zip up sessions and send via dropbox(or similar).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave