Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-11-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Pro Tools not reading Digi

I have a somewhat complicated question to ask. I own a Digi 002 rack and Pro Tools 6.4. Anyway, I was cleaning out my hard drive the other day going through some old files and deleting what was unnecessary anymore and out of nowhere, Pro Tools locked up and the Sample Rate lights on the front of my Digi went off. When I tried to re-open Pro Tools, I was greeted with an error telling me that Pro Tools couldn't read the Digi hardware, and to make sure everything was connected. I checked my connections and everything was fine. However, the link light near the 1394 firewire ports in the back of the Digi was off.

So my initial thought was that there was something wrong with the firewire card. So I grabbed my laptop and borred a 6-pin to 4-pin firewire cable from my friend and connect my notebook to the PC used for all of the recordings. I then opened the 1394 networking screens on both of the computers and found that they were both sending and receiving packets to one another. Okay, so the firewire card is just fine.

Next I thought that maybe the firewire cable itself was busted. So I installed Pro Tools on my laptop and hooked it up to the Digi. And guess what? I had the same problem as before. The Digi wasn't connecting to my laptop. So now I don't think my problem has to do with the firewire cable we were using.

So anyway, I'm guessing there's something wrong with the 1394 ports on the Digi, but I'm not really sure. The Digi powers on fine because the mute light comes on, but the sample rate lights do not and neither does the link light in the back. I tried both 1394 ports and neither work.

The only recent hardware change was the addition of a Behringer 8-port Ultragain. I unplugged the optical wires connecting it to the Digi and tried again, and I still had the same problem. There was no software needed for the Behringer, so I don't believe anything could have interfered with the firewire drivers on the PC.

To make the situation even stranger, about 5% of the time when I start up Pro Tools, the Sample Rate an Link lights come on, and Pro Tools will work. But after about a minute or so, it just cuts out again and those lights turn off and Pro Tools locks up.

I haven't called Digidesign up yet with my problem; I figured I'd come here first. If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there's any confusion about my thread, just ask and I'll try to clarify anything I said that may have been unclear. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools not reading Digi

I've just experienced the same problem on my 002 Rack. For me the link indicator on the back panel makes this clicking sound and the light blinks on and off with each click, as if it's stuck in some kind of loop trying to recognise the signal. I'm at a loss, though. It happened in the middle of a session when nothing special was going on.

If anyone can help shed ligh for us, that would be great. Otherwise I'll venture forth on the phone with digi...

Cheers
Old 07-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Do a search for "power-harnass".

Bastiaan
Old 07-13-2005, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the tip, new power harness is on the way...
Old 07-17-2005, 08:55 PM

hey zjones I'm having the same problem also.....how much did you have to pay for the new power harness?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:36 PM

Quote:
hey zjones I'm having the same problem also.....how much did you have to pay for the new power harness?
if your 002 is still under warranty, then the power harness should be free.

go left next time