How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-24-2018, 01:24 PM

Default New USB Interface to solve Focusrite 2i2 Distortion Problem

I hope this in the correct forum...
Protools 12.4

Hello DUC, I have been having continual distortion problems with the Focusrite 2i2 when tracking.
I think I have tried all of the recommended tweaks. I have the same distortion problem on both a pc and new hp laptop both running win 10.
I am think I am done with Focusrite.

Any recommendations for low priced USB interfaces?
I am looking at the:
Steinberg UR22mkII
Apollo Twin
or another Focusrite 2i2

Thanks for any input!
Old 11-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Default Re: New USB Interface to solve Focusrite 2i2 Distortion Problem

Generally: Apollo twin. Audio quality, driver quality and support, and it's usable with higher end Apollo interfaces and lots of fellow users here. Downside is UAD are plugin drug dealers and once you get a taste $$$

But to be clear... what computer and OS are you on and what connection to the interface do you have available.

--

I looked at your past posts and could not quickly work out stuff, point me there if it's all covered...

What generation of 2i2?

The "distortion" is actually captured into the Pro Tools recorded signal from the 2i2? or is only in the monitored signal while tracking?

What driver are you using? Are you being sure to use the Focusrite supplied ASIO driver if on Windows?

Have you checked that Windows or other apps are not using that interface for audio?

Does this happen at large IO buffer sizes? Does it happen if you toggle buffer size to something else and then back again?

Make sure ignore errors is not checked, does Pro Tools crash with an AAE error? What exact one.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:29 PM

Its captured, and recorded and gets worse as I track both with a mic and running the tele right into the 2i2, it sounds like a fuz box after a few minutes.

I don't see any negative stuff about the Apollo.

Running Windows 10 and using the USB Connection.

I guess I the USB is inferior and I should eventually have Thunderbolt?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2018, 01:38 PM

Thunderbolt is very nice, but I would not deliberately go and get it unless you had a specific need, e.g. wanted to upgrade to a Apollo X series. And Thunderbolt on PCs is still a PITA with limited mobo availability. I wanted to make sure you did not say have a Mac with Thunderbolt... which would open up some other options.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangoportland View Post
Its captured, and recorded and gets worse as I track both with a mic and running the tele right into the 2i2, it sounds like a fuz box after a few minutes.
Have you tried all the other things I mention? (esp. make sure you are *not* using ASIO4ALL)
Old 11-24-2018, 02:07 PM

Going down the list:
Yes
ASIO4ALL v2 >>> is there under Hardware Setup. I just uninstalled it! From uninstall programs.

Change to what? Will the new driver for the first generation 2i2 just load automatically?

What generation of 2i2?
First Generation

The "distortion" is actually captured into the Pro Tools recorded signal from the 2i2? or is only in the monitored signal while tracking?
Yes it is captured.

What driver are you using? Are you being sure to use the Focusrite supplied ASIO driver if on Windows?
I just downloaded the install for 1st generation I thought I had 2nd generation. Do I need to uninstall the other driver If I can find it?

Have you checked that Windows or other apps are not using that interface for audio?
Windows Media player & VLC are installed not sure if they are interfering?.

Does this happen at large IO buffer sizes? Does it happen if you toggle buffer size to something else and then back again? Buffer size is set at 256 sample and Disk playback at 2 GB.
I have switched this around numerous times, no improvement I will try again.

Make sure ignore errors is not checked, does Pro Tools crash with an AAE error? What exact one.
It was checked and I unchecked it , I have not been getting error messages previously.

Last edited by tangoportland; 11-24-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:40 PM

Uh you have to try looking at this properly, lots of useful troubleshooting might have been missed here. So...

Quote:
Going down the list:
Yes
ASIO4ALL v2 >>> is there under Hardware Setup.
How do I get rid of that? Change to what?
Fully uninstall ASIO4ALL. Get that crap off your computer. Even if you need it for other interfaces, just uninstall it for now. (And yes even if the interface should hopefully work with ASIO4ALL or that ASIO4ALL might be useful for troubleshooting, just get it fully uninstalled for now).

Quote:
What generation of 2i2?
First Generation
/snip/

Quote:
I just downloaded the install for 1st generation I thought I had 2nd generation. Do I need to uninstall the other driver If I can find it?
What exactly was installed before? ... Regardless, uninstall whatever 2i2 driver is installed and install the latest ASIO driver for the 2i2 *first gen* interface from Focusrite's download support page. Then check in device manager that version number agrees with what you think is was installed.

When you start pro tools hold down 'N' and select that ASIO driver as the Playback engine. If more than one choice appears for playback engine there tell us what they are all.... screenshot or exact text of that pulldown.

Quote:
Windows Media player & VLC are installed not sure if they are interfering?.
You have to go into Windows sound control panel and make sure Windows is using its motherboard sound card sound or turn Windows sound off, it must not be using the Focusrite 2i2. Make sure no other audio apps or utilities are running. Reboot the computer. check again. Test with Pro Tools

Quote:
Does this happen at large IO buffer sizes? Does it happen if you toggle buffer size to something else and then back again? Buffer size is set at 256 sample and Disk playback at 2 GB.
I have switched this around numerous times, no improvement I will try again.
Set the buffer size to 1024 and leave it there as you try all the other suggestions to get things to improve. Once you have done everything else mentioned, try toggling it to 512 and back to 1024. You should also try changing it in the ASIO Control Panel installed with the driver. (lots of older cases of distortion issues were fixed by doing that).

Quote:
It was checked and I unchecked it , I have not been getting error messages previously.
Leave ignore errors unchecked for now. Uncheck dynamic plugin processing while there, not that it will affect this issue, but just because...

---

Disable fastboot on the computer if you have that (stupid Windows idea). Do not let the computer sleep/suspend, cold boot it and try to see if the problem happens then right after a boot. At some time (now?) Focusrite drivers had trouble restoring from sleep or fastboot, or both, I can't remember which. You can search online (I'm too lazy).

And as always... try a different USB cable, and ports, reboot the PC frequently, try with a new empty session and trash pref as you try other things.

If you have another app that supports ASIO you can test with that.

Not sure if you ever escalated to Focusrite support or not, I'm not sure if they are on the ball as much as they were at one time.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:05 PM

This distortion problem continues with protools NOT even being launched, having the guitar plugged into the 2i2.
The distortion continues to increase.
I will go through the list again, downloaded the correct driver and installed it and uninstalled the ASIO4ALL v2.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
This distortion problem continues with protools NOT even being launched, having the guitar plugged into the 2i2.
The distortion continues to increase.
I will go through the list again, downloaded the correct driver and installed it and uninstalled the ASIO4ALL v2.
Well that's kind of important, or might be

So even listening to hardware monitoring (aka "Direct Monitoring") you get distortion. That likely indicates a hardware problem... and in many interfaces would be checkable stand alone... but I don't think the 2i2 has a stand alone mode where it's possible to separate fully from the computer to test things. I would hope the 2i2 should not be upset by say the ASIO driver loading when you connect the 2i2 to the PC it but maybe it is and I'm not sure it can run with direct monitoring without the driver talking to it (try connecting it with all 2i2 and ASIO4ALL drivers uninstalled and see if direct monitoring works... check in device manager, if windows tries to install a generic USB driver for it disable the device and then see if direct monitoring works if it does and you get distortion you have bad hardware, toss it in a bin if out of warranty). Otherwise still run through the other test recommended. Focusrite support should have better ideas.

An Apollo Twin must be looking pretty good about yesterday...
Old 11-24-2018, 03:40 PM

Yes yesterday and then some....
The Apollo is probably far superior.

Thanks for a ton of help assistance.....