Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 02-12-2012, 03:22 AM

Default Re: cloud storage?

A few random but related thoughts...

First of all, always remember there is no such thing as the cloud...it is somebody's cloud, and in the current climate they could go out of business at any time. Caveat emptor...

If you have a lot of extremely valuable data, i.e., large professional studio, you might consider using the services of a company like Iron Mountain. They pick up your backup media on a regular schedule, and store it in a secure facility. Downside? The best you can hope for is next-day delivery of your media. But then again, the point of off-site storage is to allow you to recover your data following a catastrophic event, such as having your studio burn down.

Another offsite option, if you have a bank branch nearby, rent a safety deposit box and store your media in it.

And still another cheaper and more convenient option, assuming your studio is not in your house, just take your media home with you at night.

A small fireproof safe or cashbox are other options.

But always remember that the first step in a backup strategy is a risk assessment. How valuable is what you have, and what are the potential dangers?

And vis a vis cloud storage...what happens if a hard drive dies in your sunny Southern California studio and the cloud you are using is in Duluth, MN where they just received an eight foot snowfall? Sure, the storage facility has an on-site backup generator so your data is safe, but since the phone lines serving the facility were knocked down by the storm, your data is not exactly available, is it...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Hello Frank & Bill:

Nice to see this thread come back up. Just to be clear, I pretty slavishly use Retrospect 9 to back up all my online hard drives to Retrospect hard drives, so I have a fast local recovery available should a drive crash.

Crashplan and the cloud are there for two reasons:

1.) the studio burns down or everything is stolen. In both scenarios my clients would understand that I needed to wait for a FedEx of hard drives from Crashplan headquarters.

2.) it's super-convenient to have a full cloud copy. Just the other day I needed to get some cuesheets from 2003, and I knew they were sitting on a drive on the shelf, but I was lazy, clicked on Crashplan, searched and downloaded. Fast and easy.

P.S.:
Iron Mountain and Amazon S3 clearly advertise better data retention and redundancy than Backblaze and Crashplan. But they're way too expensive per month for the storage I need.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:56 AM

Gobbler is a good option to go on with considering the requirements which you have just shared in your question. But, i believe that they do not offer TB's data storage as i was unable to find it on their website. The maximum storage limit shows to 500GB+ (not sure what exact space do they offer). Haven't tried it but read quiet a few reviews about their service and it seems to be a good one. I think you should give a try on MyPCBackup, Box.net, Zip or Just Cloud, Egnyte, YouSendIt and more.... You might get what you are looking at in an affordable price. For a quick reference, browse to cloud storage providers of cloud reviews portal! Hope this will help you.
Cloud Reviews | Cloud Storage
Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Gobbler is a good option to go on with considering the requirements which you have just shared in your question. But, i believe that they do not offer TB's data storage as i was unable to find it on their website. The maximum storage limit shows to 500GB+ (not sure what exact space do they offer). Haven't tried it but read quiet a few reviews about their service and it seems to be a good one. I think you should give a try on MyPCBackup, Box.net, Zip or Just Cloud, Egnyte, YouSendIt and more.... You might get what you are looking at in an affordable price. For a quick reference, browse to cloud reviews storage providers portal www(dot)cloudreviews(dot)com/cat/cloud-storage(dot). Hope this will help you.
Cloud Reviews | Cloud Storage
Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabihahmed View Post
Gobbler is a good option to go on with considering the requirements which you have just shared in your question. But, i believe that they do not offer TB's data storage as i was unable to find it on their website. The maximum storage limit shows to 500GB+ (not sure what exact space do they offer). Haven't tried it but read quiet a few reviews about their service and it seems to be a good one. I think you should give a try on MyPCBackup, Box.net, Zip or Just Cloud, Egnyte, YouSendIt and more.... You might get what you are looking at in an affordable price. For a quick reference, browse to cloud reviews storage providers portal www(dot)cloudreviews(dot)com/cat/cloud-storage(dot). Hope this will help you.
Hi ssabihahmed,

I'm Andrew, the community manager at Gobbler. Thanks for shouting us out here on the forum. Always appreciated.

We do offer custom sized accounts over 500GB. To get one, go to http://gobbler.com/plans and click the contact us box under the 500+GB option.

All the best,
Andrew