Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 01-22-2015, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Tomorrow is the NAMM show in Anaheim California.

.......and not one thing will be said concerning pro control functionality the whole week.....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:09 PM

This is largely why I just switched to Logic this week after 22 years with Digi/Avid. They absolutely could get the ProControl working with PT11 but they've purposefully left a gap between the two product so that you're pressured to abandon the ProControl. My company had 4 big ProControls with edit packs etc - a HELLUVA lot of money - and with this step from Avid we've said sayonara!

Now that we're using Logic, it was interesting to see that Logic X grabbed the Avid hardware (PCIe Accel and Avid HD|IO) via CoreAudio and began working without requiring me to lift a finger. Now get this: ater spending 20 minutes trying to get PT 11 to access the same interface (btw, if it's not already painfully obvious, these are both Avid products) I couldn't get ProTools to use their own product, though Apple's product could.

So the ProControl has been intentionally crippled (an effort to *force* me to buy a new controller) and my PCIe cards have been crippled (an effort to *force* me to buy new HDX cards). It's mind blowing guys and girls what this company will do to extract cash from your pockets.

Btw, it's been one of the most exciting weeks in recent memory because of Logic. Those of you frustrated with the ProControl issue, or PT11, or the hilariously feature absent PT12 "upgrade" or the future Avid has set in front of us should give it a try. We're lovin' it!
Old 02-12-2015, 05:23 PM

Yep, sad isn't it...
Old 02-15-2015, 02:53 AM

So how was that Pt 10 update ??? They actually are still thinking about PT 10 at Avid... Lovin my Control 24 ..... Hating Avid.... Happy mixing guys !
Old 02-15-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-andrew View Post
So how was that Pt 10 update ??? They actually are still thinking about PT 10 at Avid... Lovin my Control 24 ..... Hating Avid.... Happy mixing guys !
It seems they broke some more stuff while trying to fix others. Again.
Avid has a real mess on their hands.
Oh well.

PT10.3.6 and Pro Control is working well for me.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
This is largely why I just switched to Logic this week after 22 years with Digi/Avid. They absolutely could get the ProControl working with PT11 but they've purposefully left a gap between the two product so that you're pressured to abandon the ProControl. My company had 4 big ProControls with edit packs etc - a HELLUVA lot of money - and with this step from Avid we've said sayonara!

Now that we're using Logic, it was interesting to see that Logic X grabbed the Avid hardware (PCIe Accel and Avid HD|IO) via CoreAudio and began working without requiring me to lift a finger. Now get this: ater spending 20 minutes trying to get PT 11 to access the same interface (btw, if it's not already painfully obvious, these are both Avid products) I couldn't get ProTools to use their own product, though Apple's product could.

So the ProControl has been intentionally crippled (an effort to *force* me to buy a new controller) and my PCIe cards have been crippled (an effort to *force* me to buy new HDX cards). It's mind blowing guys and girls what this company will do to extract cash from your pockets.

Btw, it's been one of the most exciting weeks in recent memory because of Logic. Those of you frustrated with the ProControl issue, or PT11, or the hilariously feature absent PT12 "upgrade" or the future Avid has set in front of us should give it a try. We're lovin' it!
Curious what control surface you are planning to use with Logic.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-25-2015, 04:43 PM

I feel like it is my duty to post to this thread even if no one reads it. This thread is part of history and folklore now. I have been a Pro Tools user for 15 years. I have an HD2 and Control24 in one room and an HDX system with Artist mixes, control, color and transport in the other room. I love working in Pro Tools and I now realize that I was very naive when I bought the Control24. For some reason I thought those kinds of Control surfaces/mixers would be treated like the consoles of old. My mentors saved and bought consoles that they would lovingly maintain and keep until they retired. Some of those consoles would become “vintage” and highly sought after late into their lifetimes. I wrongly assumed that higher end control surfaces like the control 24 would be treated like the consoles of old in the new "digital age". This was my thinking when I bought the Control24 when it was relatively new. I had no idea that they would essentially become disposable devices eventually. I don't know why I had the idea that higher end control surfaces would enjoy life spans like the consoles of old, but I did. Now I know that I was naïve, but it was the reason I shelled out $10k for it. I wish things weren't this way because I LOVE the Control 24. I would love to use it forever. I even went as far as to see if I could use the C24 controller board inside the Control24 so I could prolong its life, to no avail. It doesn’t work. It looks like the driver is the only hope. I know now that hope is also naïve. The new business model is for control surfaces to be disposable. If I want something that is going to be treated like the consoles my mentors bought, I need to save and get one. Lesson Learned. I am not happy about it, but lesson learned. Control Surfaces are disposal and I should buy the cheapest one that can work for me until I eventually trash it. It’s a commodity I guess, like hammer or a pencil. I’m very sad still about my old control 24, but I’m saving for the right console now. . I also bought a copy of Logic so I could start learning it. I need to have options in a commodity marketplace. I realize my loyalty to Avid is also naive and misplaced. I am not mad at Avid. Avid is a company. Avid is just doing what companies eventually do. It is like the man who bought a baby snake and cared for it and raised it until it was a giant python. One day as the man was dying from suffocation by the python, the man cried with one of his last breaths….”My snake, my son, why did you kill me after I raised you all those years?” The snake replied, “I am just doing what a snake does. Did you not realize I was a snake?” Lesson Learned. Older, Wiser.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:45 AM

I will keep repeating this:
There is nothing wrong with Pro Tools 10. I am freezing myself on Pro Tools 10 and I won't be upgrading any time soon. If I had Pro Control or Control24 I would keep Pro Tools 10 for as long as the console stays alive. It is Avid's loss, not ours.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 02-26-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
There is nothing wrong with Pro Tools 10. I am freezing myself on Pro Tools 10 and I won't be upgrading any time soon. If I had Pro Control or Control24 I would keep Pro Tools 10 for as long as the console stays alive. It is Avid's loss, not ours.
I hear ya. I beginning to accept HD 10 as just fine.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-...s/date-asc/100

http://soundbetter.com/profiles/3845-john-siket
Old 02-27-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
I'm in same boat, PT 10 HD-6 with Procontrol. Like it works, ain't broken. I've considered upgrading to HDX, but I keep reading about peeps having bad experiences working on that platform. Does anyone have good experiences to share, maybe some caveats?