Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-27-2019, 07:31 PM

Default Issues with recording MIDI - please help

So I'm trying to record MIDI with my mouse (using it manually to click on notes) and with my MIDI keyboard and neither are working. They used to work as of the other week but for some reason they now suddenly stopped working. So this is how it used to work...
1) I create a new Audio track and a MIDI track.
2) Put in the appropriate plugin and change to appropriate channel in the plugin on audio track..
3)On MIDI track, I change the MIDI output selector to appropriate MIDI channel.
4. I play a few notes via my piano or with my mouse in the plugin and the Audio Track lights up but the MIDI track does not (it use to). I do hear the sound from my playing the notes however.
5) Then of course when I click the Record button for the Audio track and MIDI tracks and then the master record button, I see the recording line for the Audio track but nothing for the MIDI track like I used to. When I stop the recording nothing populates of course for the MIDI track and the Audio track is blank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I looked in my Pro Tools manual and found nothing for this issue at all. It's odd that it used to work but now not having any luck and holding me up from my recordings.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Issues with recording MIDI - please help

Try this:
Simplify your usage and instead of using separate audio and MIDI tracks use an instrument track which will hold your vi and MIDI. In PT preferences in the MIDI tab make sure that 'use first selected track' is selected. Play your keyboard and you should hear sounds. When you want to record your performance record enable the instrument track, hit f12 to start recording. When you're done recording you should see the MIDI recorded in the instrument track. When you want to render that to audio you have two options - record the output of the instrument to an audio track in real time or use offline bounce which you can use to render audio in faster than real time.

QAPLA!
Old 04-28-2019, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Issues with recording MIDI - please help

Looks like that works for my keyboard. Thank you for your help!