Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2015, 10:42 AM

Default Pro tools LE 8.0 "Required software extensions are missing."

About 6 years ago I bought pro tools 8 and it ran great on my mac book pro, which I bought new about 7 years ago. I stopped playing music and using protools for roughly 5 years, just yesterday I tried to run pro tools and I get this message. I have never had issues with PT on this laptop and the only difference I can think of since it ran correctly, is the OSX changes and updates, and updates to how AVID runs their products and licensing.

The MBOX 2 does not light up at any point (I can't remember if it required PT to be running before the lights powered on).

I get the message,

"Required software extensions are missing."

"Click the "OK" button, and you will be transferred to the PACE web site where an installer can be downloaded."

When I get redirected to the PACE page is says the things have moved and the page is no longer there. I have tried to research this on my own and I am still confused.

1) Is this problem occurring because all versions of PT (including 8) now require "ilok"?

2) Does my version of OSX 10.9.5 support PT 8 and MBOX 2 (this is my hardware)?

I tried uninstall/reinstall and the same issue occurs.
Also tried upgrading to PT version 8.0.5, same issue occurs.

Pro tools LE 8.0
7 year old mac book pro
OSX 10.9.5
4 GB ram 1067 MHz DDR3
MBOX 2

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Pro tools LE 8.0 "Required software extensions are missing."

Answers -
1) No. PT 8 and below used the Digi interface as the dongle. In your case, that's the MBox2. Your problem is your OS / PT compatibility.

2) No. The last OSX version to be supported with the last PT 8 version was OSX 10.6.8 with PT LE 8.0.5.

You will need to either roll your OS back, or buy a PT 10/11 license and DON'T install PT 10 until you've researched PT 10 on OSX 10.9.5. The uninstaller for PT 10 was broken in Mavericks, so if you're hip enough to follow the manual uninstall protocol (if you need to uninstall PT 10), then go ahead. By the way, if you upgrade PT, you'll need an iLok2 for $50.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Pro tools LE 8.0 "Required software extensions are missing."

Hello everybody

After a long time without using the ProTools, I decided to use it again, but every time I try to start the program I get the same:

"Required software extensions are missing."

"Click the "OK" button, and you will be transferred to the PACE web site where an installer can be downloaded."

It also happens with Garageband.

Something must be wrong with my old OS X

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Best greetings!!

Thanks for the info, and your welcome. I hope to find answers here. Cheers. Ernesto